shock help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
im going to run 850s in the front 860s in the rear with a 1 inch spacer it should give me 3.5 inch lift i think. what shocks choice is there besides old man emu they are expencive as f'' '' '' k. there has got to be some thing other than those that will work good for half the price. And do i have to use the castor corection kit ? thanks for the help.

Yes, you do need caster correction. Many on this board use the stock springs with 2.5 inch lift. I belive this come with a marginal hit at full flex.

is that with stock shocks. is any one using this set up. wat are you runing.

You should be ok with stock shocks although may have some limitation in travel. Other than OME, Bliestiens <sp> and Rancho's are 2 others people have used commonly I would say.

you wont have the droop travel with stock shocks...as they'll probably be almost fully extended with a 3"+ lift. otherwise, they'll work. you can get rancho 5000s or 9000s but will need some eye to pin adapters. not many extended length shocks have pin/pin for the front and pin/eye for the rears...except for the ome's which is what you should be getting for the 850/60 kit. did you hit up the supporting vendors?

I'm in the process of installing a set of Edelbrock IAS shocks on the wife's 80 (850/860). They're identical length as the stock shocks so you're not getting much in the droop dept. I'll finish the installation tomorrow and then go for a ride. One thing for sure, they were hard as hell to compress. The price was $140 to my door (free shipping) for all four so the price can't be beat.

x2 on the pin to eye conversion. I have 2 sets of JKS shock conversions on mine,
I took the factory rear shocks and mounted them up front with the converter on the bottom, effectively adding an inch or so to their length and saving you the price of a pair.

The other set of converters went at the top mounts of the rear shocks, allowing me to run the very common eye to eye shocks out back. Once you do this you have your choice as to the shock you want in the rear, 5100's, rancho's, skyjacker hydros, etc, etc. You can spend as little or as much as you want.

I personally like a soft shock on my truck which is probably about 95% pavement pounder, although this seems to be the opposite of what everyone else seems to run.
The skyjacker hydros seem to allow the springs to do some of the work and give it a bit of a cadillac ride, which I prefer.
The truck seems to just float over all the bumpy stuff but it probably doesn't corner like a stiff gas shock does, but thats the trade off I guess.
It works for me.

So this option cost me about $70 for the converters and
another $60 for the hydro's = $130 total.

Here's the converters below: 9602's

JKS Manufacturing: Shock Mounting Components

Don't waste your money on OME springs if you aren't going to run the OME shocks. Either wait for a deal on classifieds or buy some junk from Downey or Skyjacker with some cheap off brand shocks.

OME shocks are so expensive because you need all that shock to control the crappy OME 80 series springs :flipoff2:

x2 on the pin to eye conversion. I have 2 sets of JKS shock conversions on mine,
I took the factory rear shocks and mounted them up front with the converter on the bottom, effectively adding an inch or so to their length and saving you the price of a pair.

The other set of converters went at the top mounts of the rear shocks, allowing me to run the very common eye to eye shocks out back. Once you do this you have your choice as to the shock you want in the rear, 5100's, rancho's, skyjacker hydros, etc, etc. You can spend as little or as much as you want.

I personally like a soft shock on my truck which is probably about 95% pavement pounder, although this seems to be the opposite of what everyone else seems to run.
The skyjacker hydros seem to allow the springs to do some of the work and give it a bit of a cadillac ride, which I prefer.
The truck seems to just float over all the bumpy stuff but it probably doesn't corner like a stiff gas shock does, but thats the trade off I guess.
It works for me.

So this option cost me about $70 for the converters and
another $60 for the hydro's = $130 total.

Here's the converters below: 9602's

JKS Manufacturing: Shock Mounting Components

how did the JKS adapters work out? im going to put in some 5100 billies out back. did you have to bore out the rear upper mounting plate quite abit? i got BDS adapters...but the pin on it is like 18mm!

Nope no boring...

and the JKS ones are actually bigger at 22mm or 7/8 inches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom