Shock Choices (need some insight) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trapper50cal

TEQ Frame of Mind
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
Time to replace the shocks on the pig seeing as the old RS5000's won't rebound from hand compression. (yikes)

thinking about Bilstein 5125's or 5150's but as many pig fiends know....

front shock is stem/eye instead of eye/eye

any good stem topped shocks over 23.5 inch extension and 17" compression
with at least 255/70 valving (stiff)

the front shock mounts with their little trussed sides may eliminate the 5150 due to external resevoir. (maybe not) Bilstein says they have a stem adapter
but it looses over an inch in travel (bummer)

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

I would go with some Old Man Emu comfort series shocks. They carry them for the factory 55 suspension. Right now I have some on my 55 on the rears. They are fricken sweet! You can never go wrong with OME.

The RS5000's aren't a charged shock, so they won't rebound (push back out) when you compress them. Old Man Emu's are so they will push back. With a stiffer suspension, I would wonder about pressurized shocks making it worse...

I really like the DT8000's that I'm running from Doestch Tech...firm ride but not pressurized firm...

I went to advance and had the guy at the counter matchup a set of Monroe gasmatics that are like 4" longer on the out stroke. $60 the set. :cheers: These will more than do until I decide to SOA.

Little clarification, what do you mean by stem/eye instead of eye/eye? I have some rancho's that I bought and am going to put on sometime soon but I havent gotten under the pig and looked at the old shocks or anything. Will I have to do something to make them fit right?

the bottom of the shock is a round eye like normal, but the top of the shock has a stud sticking out of it that goes up through the bracket and has a nut on top.

So I should just buy the kit you linked and I wont have to worry about it. Correct?

My Solution

Here's what I did.

Bilstein 5150 remote resevoir

Shane at the offroad dept. of the California Office of Bilstein
had two options. For 5125's you can buy an adapter that hangs
an eye shock mount below the stem (will limit travel w/ non-bilstein
shocks due to bils being "upside down") or...with the 5150's
you can unscrew the eye mount on top and replace with stem mount
which I am doing. One note of caution: some material will need to be
removed from stock shock tower to make way for external resevoir.
I will be removing material from the front of the tower since steering arm
and draglink are to the back. I will post pictures once done.

From everything I've found out, the split ext/comp valving of the Bilsteins
and their reliability make them a superior choice albeit a little pricey.

clemson55 said:
So I should just buy the kit you linked and I wont have to worry about it. Correct?
don't know...saw it on a jeep sight and have been thinking about buying them, but no $, so i can't guarantee it'll work, but i don't see why it wouldn't work.

I bought a set of those adapters for the shocks so I can put the Rancho's on my pig. Won't be doing it for about 2 weeks but wanted to ask the question now while its on my mind. The adapters are a slight bit wider then the shocks probably about 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch. Should I put some washers in there so that they fit tightly or is it ok that they have that slight play in them? Thanks

if you've done a power steering conversion then you might want to check into doing the ford f250 shock tower thing that everyone does on their 40's, then you could put a longer shock on the front, plus you'd eliminate the stem on the top of the shock...

I already have the rancho 9000's and the adapter so I am putting them on and running them at least until I feel like I have gotten my moneys worth. I'm a poor college student can't afford to do otherwise. So anyway I should put washers in right? I would think that I dont want any kind of play on the shock.

I enjoyed the Rancho R9000's when I had them on my last pig. I've ran that shocks on many of my rigs. But I am not leaning to something different. I using Bilsteins up front and OME Comfort shocks in the rear. After I lift this pig I wil either go all four OME Comfort's or all four corners with Bilstein 5150's all around.

btw... remember when Van Hagar came out with the 5150 CD? Do you remember what 5150 stands for? Old Police code for Crazy Person.

"5150. When any person, as a result of mental disorder, is a danger to others, or to himself or herself, or gravely disabled, a peace officer, member of the attending staff, as defined by regulation, of an evaluation facility designated by the county, designated members of a mobile crisis team provided by Section 5651.7, or other professional person designated by the county may, upon probable cause, take, or cause to be taken, the person into custody and place him or her in a facility designated by the county and approved by the State Department of Mental Health as a facility for 72-hour treatment and evaluation."

ah yes... I feel right at home now. :D

Sammy Hagar "The Red Rocker" still ROCKS!
Van Halen sux ass! :flamingo:

I would say that is before my time, or I was to small to remember it.

Still didn't hear an answer though I'll keep checking back.

clemson55 said:
I bought a set of those adapters for the shocks so I can put the Rancho's on my pig. Won't be doing it for about 2 weeks but wanted to ask the question now while its on my mind. The adapters are a slight bit wider then the shocks probably about 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch. Should I put some washers in there so that they fit tightly or is it ok that they have that slight play in them? Thanks

Play is not good, Is that situation WITH the bushings in? If so, yes, put in some washers, don't crank past 35-40ft/lbs. It doesn't need to be cranked but it shouldn't be sloppy either. You might check into a little bit bigger bushing ( more conical offset) or just washer them in.

Doesn't Rancho make a 9000 with a stem top? My 5000's up front had stems.

MiniPigg said:
I enjoyed the Rancho R9000's when I had them on my last pig. I've ran that shocks on many of my rigs. But I am not leaning to something different. I using Bilsteins up front and OME Comfort shocks in the rear. After I lift this pig I wil either go all four OME Comfort's or all four corners with Bilstein 5150's all around.

btw... remember when Van Hagar came out with the 5150 CD? Do you remember what 5150 stands for? Old Police code for Crazy Person.

"5150. When any person, as a result of mental disorder, is a danger to others, or to himself or herself, or gravely disabled, a peace officer, member of the attending staff, as defined by regulation, of an evaluation facility designated by the county, designated members of a mobile crisis team provided by Section 5651.7, or other professional person designated by the county may, upon probable cause, take, or cause to be taken, the person into custody and place him or her in a facility designated by the county and approved by the State Department of Mental Health as a facility for 72-hour treatment and evaluation."

ah yes... I feel right at home now. :D

Sammy Hagar "The Red Rocker" still ROCKS!
Van Halen sux ass! :flamingo:

"Van Hagar" sucked ballz, big sweaty, hairy, zit-ridden ballz.
David Lee Roth was the only true version of Van Halen.

Was OU812 the first Van Hagar? and what was the last DLR Van Halen
Album? I can only remember up to Diver Down.

Women and Children First?
IDK

BTW, these 5150's (Bilstein) Rock the Casbah, nice and stiff until they have to go to work then they seem to pick up everything. Make my truck feel brand new!

Trapper50cal said:
"Van Hagar" sucked ballz, big sweaty, hairy, zit-ridden ballz.
David Lee Roth was the only true version of Van Halen.

Was OU812 the first Van Hagar? and what was the last DLR Van Halen
Album? I can only remember up to Diver Down.

Women and Children First?
IDK

BTW, these 5150's (Bilstein) Rock the Casbah, nice and stiff until they have to go to work then they seem to pick up everything. Make my truck feel brand new!

The only good thing out of Van Hagar was Sammy Hagar. I saw them in concernt a few times only because Sammy was there. Roth was good when he was in Van Halen but sucked after he left, they dumped him, or what ever story is circulating these days.

Either day... Sammy Hagar doesnt need Halen or any other band... he was a gaint before halen asked him to join them. As far as Halen goes now... they blow. Including after I heard a few their whiny assed ,bleeding , oh mommy hold me cause the bad man is going to hurt me... Interviews.

MiniPigg said:
The only good thing out of Van Hagar was Sammy Hagar. I saw them in concernt a few times only because Sammy was there. Roth was good when he was in Van Halen but sucked after he left, they dumped him, or what ever story is circulating these days.

Either day... Sammy Hagar doesnt need Halen or any other band... he was a gaint before halen asked him to join them. As far as Halen goes now... they blow. Including after I heard a few their whiny assed ,bleeding , oh mommy hold me cause the bad man is going to hurt me... Interviews.

LOL

WOW a real Hagar fan??!! thought it was just a myth

I guess you can drive 55, well "A" 55 anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom