Shock absorber recommendations for OEM-type ride (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So this past weekend I replaced the front shocks (and upper control arms) on my new-to-me LC with 200k miles on the original OEM shocks and the new shocks I mounted (KYB Excel-G) are TERRIBLE. Super floaty over typical bumps, and on washboard sections of city streets the rebound rate is so off from what it feels like it should be that I feel like I’m about to lose control. So I’m going to replace these and send back the matching rear shocks I haven’t mounted yet and try again with something else.

What brands have you guys had good experience with? I should mention that my truck is bone stock as far as the drivetrain and suspension are concerned and I don’t have any immediate plans to change that. It’s riding on recently installed (by PO) Michelin Defender LTX M/S 265/75P16 tires. My goal is an OEM-quality ride (which I thought these KYBs would be good for since the OEM shocks are marked KYB too) but if there’s a better brand out there I should know about I am open to suggestions.

Thanks guys.

The KYB's Toyota spec'd may not actually be what you bought. If you want an OEM ride, I'd recommend OEM shocks; I will risk a hundred responses here, but I don't think you'll find a better value.

In order to get what Toyota spec'd, you'd need to know what the specs for the OEM shocks were; matching brands won't work, there are just too many variables. When NVH engineers develop the specifications for ride quality, they use a wide range of test drivers and simultaneous sensors (because not everyone describes the same thing the same way). The ride profiles from the sensors are compared with the positive/negative driver feedback and a range of response variables are compiled that are used to develop the eventual product specification. Without going through all that, the best you can do is hope everyone's "ideal" ride quality is the same as yours, or buy the OEM shocks.

The KYB's Toyota spec'd may not actually be what you bought. If you want an OEM ride, I'd recommend OEM shocks; I will risk a hundred responses here, but I don't think you'll find a better value.
Yeah, in hindsight it is sort of an Occam's Razor situation: the simplest solution is usually the right one. So back to OEM it will be. I guess I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with a different brand of shocks that they felt were vastly superior to the factory units for mostly on-road performance. But I do get your point that "better" is very subjective and the engineering that went to selecting the original shocks should be respected.

A wise judge once told me how he makes judgments in highly contented divorce cases. Find the solution that leaves both parties only slightly unhappy, if the solution exists and there is no clear right/wrong. Two lumps of life lessons with my Earl Grey, please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom