Shock Absorber recommendation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi

On mu 01 LC, with 170,000 miles I think its time to replace the front Bilsteins. The truck is almost always driven on pavement, and is completey stock, except for poly bushings at the sway bars. The rears are also Bilstein's, with 30K on them (replaced due to the shaft unthreading).

If I want to replace the front, I am assuming I should go with Bilsteins? I dont want anything that makes the ride jarring in front.

Is that correct, or is there a better option, if I want to leave the rears alone.

Thanks

shock replacement

get front and rear Old Man Emu shocks and start driving mostly off road. I have 177,000 miles on the original toyota shocks. I was told they may be made by KYB. I took them out and felt the resistance and put them back on and at 200,000 I will take them out and compair them to some new OME or stock Toyota shocks. The Land Cruiser works much better off road than on road. Good Luck.

I like my IronMan shocks, much better than stock and not harsh and they are affordable.

Honestly, for the price of two Bilsteins in the front you could replace all four corners with new OEM. You want a comfortable ride, and never go off pavement, well OEM is a perfect match!

Honestly, for the price of two Bilsteins in the front you could replace all four corners with new OEM. You want a comfortable ride, and never go off pavement, well OEM is a perfect match!

X2. OEM is fabulous. Anything aftermarket is going to stiffen up the ride, which may or may not be what you want. For the price/reliability OEM is on the top of the list for road going 100's.

Are you happy with the Bilsteins? If so stay with them, as you don't want to mix and match shocks front to back. If you are not happy, then yes the OEMs will give you a softer ride.

I went from OEMs to bilsteins and never looked back. Much better handeling on and off road.

I just put Monroe Reflex on all corners on my 05 with 120k miles while I put on new tires and the ride is like a new truck. The Monroe's cost about half of what the OEM Toyota shocks cost.

Plus, Monroe has a 4 for 3 event going on this month.

I just put Monroe Reflex on all corners on my 05 with 120k miles while I put on new tires and the ride is like a new truck. The Monroe's cost about half of what the OEM Toyota shocks cost.

Plus, Monroe has a 4 for 3 event going on this month.

OEM Toyota Shocks can be had for less than $40 each from Toyota of Dallas (toyotapartsale.com). Maybe they're a lot more at the dealer, in person, as I'm guessing you can't pick up Monroes for about $20 each?

Yes, will Titus Toyota was $400 shipped and got the Monroe's for $200 locally same day. Still more than happy with them.

Yes, will Titus Toyota was $400 shipped and got the Monroe's for $200 locally same day. Still more than happy with them.

Well you learned a valuable lesson huh? Stop shopping at a local stealership. Call American Toyota in NM or Lowe's Toyota in GA. They have representatives here on MUD, and give a very nice MUD discount. Keep in mind that discount is on "honest" prices, local dealers make up prices all together most the times.

Four 100-series Toyota OEM struts should run you around $140/shipped, cheaper and probably better than your Monroe's.

P.S. Old Man Emu (OME) struts are made in the exact same factory as Monroe. They are basically the same thing with different stickers. Hence why my only aftermarket strut recommendation is Bilstein. They are made in Germany to a very high standard.

I went with Rancho RS5000's at about 150,000mi. The improvement over stock was remarkable. And Rancho's are often on sale too.

If you have Bilstiens and are happy with them, Bilstien can rebuild them for you for a very fair price. They also have a lifetime warranty if you bought them new and still have the paperwork.

If they are rebuilding the shocks, you can have them adjust the valving as well. I find the Bilstiens a little harsh on the low speed damping, so someday I'll get mine rebuilt and have them relax that a little.

Pete

P.S. Old Man Emu (OME) struts are made in the exact same factory as Monroe. They are basically the same thing with different stickers.

I love these kinds of statements on forums. They might be made by the company that makes Monroe's but they are not just re-badged. Do you have any side by side comparisons showing the this, or is this statement based on internet hearsay.

I love these kinds of statements on forums. They might be made by the company that makes Monroe's but they are not just re-badged. Do you have any side by side comparisons showing the this, or is this statement based on internet hearsay.

Oh damn, Christo Slee in with the smack down! I'm not going to even pretend to have your knowledge on the subject my friend. However at least I was correct in the first statement of my post. :p Source: ARB Australia published a video on YouTube showing the whole process of the shocks being built and tested in the Monroe factory (in AU?). Then shortly after I watched the video, it disappeared. My guess was at the urging of ARB USA they had it pulled because people, like myself, would look negatively on Monroe built products. That's all pure speculation on my part for the record Christo.

No internet hearsay here, I come up with this s*** on my own! Professional internet idiot since 1996!

My recently acquired '99 (135k) looks to have OEMs. The ride is a little squishier than my previous 100 series and it doesn't feel as tight--not a rattle, but a little loose and road bumps transfer quite a bit of noise vibration and harshness into the cabin. My old 100 of similar mileage was tight and had all the NVH of a bank vault.

If I wanted to return to showroom ride, or mild off road upgrade, where should I start:

Shocks/struts?
Springs?
Bushings?
Control Arms?
TBs?

I've never tinkered with suspension systems. Ideally, I'd like to go with one of Slee's kits, but I don't think I want a 1.5" lift, maybe half that if at all.

Any ideas?

lizardking100 said:
My recently acquired '99 (135k) looks to have OEMs. The ride is a little squishier than my previous 100 series and it doesn't feel as tight--not a rattle, but a little loose and road bumps transfer quite a bit of noise vibration and harshness into the cabin. My old 100 of similar mileage was tight and had all the NVH of a bank vault.

If I wanted to return to showroom ride, or mild off road upgrade, where should I start:

Shocks/struts?
Springs?
Bushings?
Control Arms?
TBs?

I've never tinkered with suspension systems. Ideally, I'd like to go with one of Slee's kits, but I don't think I want a 1.5" lift, maybe half that if at all.

Any ideas?

I would start with sway bar links, and shocks. Than inspect the steering rack, tie rods, and rear control arm bushings. New torsion bars and springs will help bring the ride back to showroom quality, but if its been a highway vehicle, and only 135K I would be shocked if the springs are shot. Ball joints and wheel bearings can also factor in the "loose" feel, those are generally going to produce sounds when driving and possible irregular tire wear. Alignment will also help the tightness. My 100 was aligned as a 2000 2WD 4Runner, terrible shop, and it drove like I unbolted the tie rod and loosened up the lug nuts. It felt very loose and drove like my '95 Bronco II. Which I must add, was the most unreliable and terrifying vehicle I've ever had.

I like my IronMan shocks, much better than stock and not harsh and they are affordable.
GottageTone - which of the two Ironman shocks do you have, the Nitro or Foam Cell? From your signature it looks like you have their aftermarket suspension, too. I have the OME suspension with about a 2" lift and am wondering how the Ironmans perform on-road and off.

Can you comment? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom