Shock Absorber Angle (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am starting to put together my FJ40 again and after installing the front shocks I noticed that it is at a slight angle at the bottom, see picture (right side). Truck is a ‘75 but with ‘76 axles for the disc brakes. Will this angle stress the bushings? Or do I need shims to move the angle of the axle?

IMG_5207.jpeg

Was the picture taken with the axle hanging in the air? If so then once it is on the ground the angle may change.

I recall same condition on my 40 before SOA. If steering(caster) is correct you could cut the tab off and reweld. FWIW it does not appear that the tie rod end has a cotter pin ? That can kill, fix it if it isnt there.

Was the picture taken with the axle hanging in the air? If so then once it is on the ground the angle may change.
@B y r o n , no tires are the ground with chasis only, body is off

Your washers need to go the other direction. I am not sure if that is a normal angle, I replaced my shock towers and don’t recall how it looked before. Video explains the washer orientation.

@MOTOV8R , thank you for the advice & video…. I did not know this and just assumed…. I take it same applies to the inner washer?

FWIW it does not appear that the tie rod end has a cotter pin ? That can kill, fix it if it isnt there.
Thanks @peesalot , I have new tie rod ends waiting to be installed

Check that your springs are oriented correctly; short side to the frame, long side on shackle end.

I had the same issue when I mounted my OME springs. They had an arrow which I thought was supposed to be pointed to the front. Instead it was meant to point to the frame fixed mounting position. The rears ended up being mounted correctly but the fronts were pointed the wrong direction.

Last edited:
Thats a good ? is it stock suspension ? FWIW once the body goes on I bet that angle is 1/2 what it is now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom