1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

shipping overseas...is this a deadbeat buyer?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Cruiserhead05, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Cruiserhead05

Cruiserhead05 SILVER Star

I've been trying to sell my 82 fj40 for a little while now but have been leaning toward keeping unless i can get the full 9500 i am asking. I gentlemen from Europe has told me he wants to buy for a client of his. He has only seen 2 pics of it, hasnt tlkaed to me on the phone, just throught email and has told me he has cut a check for 12500 and is sending it to me. I wants to me basically arrnage shipment and pay for shipment with the extra money. I definately wont do anything until his check clears if I ever see it but i feel unsure. Should I trust this and does anyone know anything about sending a US car to london i think it was. Thanks, i just wanted some other opinions on the situation.

2. 60wag

60wag SILVER Star

This sounds just like the Nigerian cashiers check scam. The check will show up and look legitimate. After you deposit it, you check with your bank and they tell you the check cleared. Then three weeks later after you've sent the leftover money (excess shipping funds) back to the buyer, you bank will tell you the check was a fake and you're responsible for the entire amount. Be very very careful.

3. Landpimp

Landpimp

it SURE sounds like a scam to me.

It might be clearer if we saw the emails from the seller, but even without...........well if it sounds to good to be true..........it prolly is.

4. kling-on

kling-on Kool Arrow

Media:
    Albums:
    [quote author=60wag link=board=1;threadid=10597;start=msg95153#msg95153 date=1075042248]
    This sounds just like the Nigerian cashiers check scam. The check will show up and look legitimate. After you deposit it, you check with your bank and they tell you the check cleared. Then three weeks later after you've sent the leftover money (excess shipping funds) back to the buyer, you bank will tell you the check was a fake and you're responsible for the entire amount. Be very very careful.
    [/quote]

yup sound like the same thing ... dont do it
    if there that big open a new acct and have them wire transfer the money to it so that cant say its a bad ck later ... clean and easy .. if there for real a wire tranfer is safer for them too... just a fyi

5. Cruiserhead05

Cruiserhead05 SILVER Star

ok thanks. i was unsure why anyone would spend 12k to get a vehicle they've never seen.

6. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

[quote author=Cruiserhead05 link=board=1;threadid=10597;start=msg95191#msg95191 date=1075049433]
    ok thanks. i was unsure why anyone would spend 12k to get a vehicle they've never seen.
    [/quote]
    They wouldn't.
    My money is on scam.

7. dieselcruiserhead

dieselcruiserhead

Be very careful, the same thing happened to a friend. He recieved the check, took it to the bank to verify that it was legal and the funds were there, the bank actually said yes...! A week later, turned out the check was a forgery, a very good one... Do be very very careful, and wait at least two weeks. Good luck....!

8. Radd Cruisers

Radd Cruisers

Ah crap, if you recieve the check and clear it make sure you do a little jig and thank the cruiser gods.

Things like this do really happen!!!

Nothing ventured nothing lost, I guess if he were asking you to send the car without payment I would be suspect.

Goood Luck.

Rob

9. Radd Cruisers

Radd Cruisers

Oh ya make sure the check is certified, cashed and you have the funds in your account.

And if you are a real skeptic, cash it for dollars and put it into another acount.

10. Jman

Jman

Scam, scam, scam!!! Run away!!!

This is a big scam in the auto parts business in particular. (Funny, it's always "for a client"!!) I think it's even been discussed on this board before (do a search for "cashiers check" or "client" "scam" or something).

The checks are great forgeries, and even if you just deposit it and never send him the truck, you'll still be out $$$ when, weeks later, it bounces sky high and you have to pay penalties.

11. dieselcruiserhead

dieselcruiserhead

12. Rocky_LC

Rocky_LC

Happened to a buddy of mine, the guy paid him as much for the shipping as for the car (an old Lincon Continental) that was going to Austrailia (sp).

Two weeks later, the cashier's check bounced. I'd stay away from this deal. Or cash his check, and sit on it for 2-3 weeks until you are sure the cash is really there!

Make sure you don't ship opp your LC and not get paid for it! That would be a heartbreaker!

Rocky

13. Jonathan_Ferguson

Jonathan_Ferguson ★ is in the wrong locale SILVER Star

Why would someone from England want to buy a Left Hand Drive Landcruiser anyway? :slap: - Nolonger require special Permit to drive Left Hand Drive Vehicles in Victoria, Australia anymore. :flipoff2: