shipping Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
found thanks

Hi guys .

I have been looking into a fj40 in the west end (london) and i live in the east (just east of oshawa) 260km one way.

whats the best way to get her home? i own a small tacoma and a 05 4runner that i dont think are suitable for towing such a heavy truck.

what are my options?

is there anyone around London ont. that is willing to ship her my way for a cost?
what would a tow truck company charge ($$ money i bet)

iv heard of guys renting uhauls and car trailers ( iv never had a uhaul that didnt leave me at the side of the road)
other options?

thanks for any and all help

Last edited:
uhaul will rent you a trailer or dolly... i hate the trailers they rent...I would suggest a one way dolly rental from london to oshawa, they might let you do that with either of those trucks.... otherwise, lie and tell then your hauling something smaller (note this may void insurance in case of accident etc., but thats your risk....) If you go dolly, I have heard removing the rear driveshaft is wise to avoid damage to the tranny/tcase....you can find out whether they allow the towing combination by trying to reserve online, it won't let you proceed if they think the towed vehicle is too heavy...

I guess it's not a driver?

why dont you drive it back? if it not road worthy...better be a good deaL
tow truck will cost minimum 500 if you know someone.

How much are looking to spend and when are you wanting it moved?
Dave

Flat towing 40

I would to pass on some info that was given to me and it worked out great.

Go to princess auto, pick up a tow bar with a 5000lbs rating, the kind you see behind RV's, and a trailer light package. I found both on sale, cost about $140.00 CDN for everything.

The 40 if it has a stock from bumper will have 2 mounting holes for the tow bar to attach. Then attach tow bar to to the 40, and ball hitch to the tow veh. as per manufactures instructions. Plug in the trailer lights (4 connection plug). check for proper light operation. (CHECK TO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ALL THE NEEDED HARDWARE TO ATTACH TO THE MOUNTING HOLES ON THE 40)

Put the truck into N and your T-case into N, unlock the steering wheel, and go.

Give your self plenty of time and plan a route ahead of time on back roads, (gives you a chance to get use to the feeling).

Now the best part, you have your own tow truck, you can pull your truck when ever needed.

Thanks to Wayne Smith for the idea.

Good Luck

Dave

how did you get it there?

don't forget the safety chains if using a towbar.

very important unless you like the possiblity of someone elses death on your hands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom