shipping cruiser doors

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Junk, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Junk

Junk

Got to ship 4 60 doors via forward air. Anyone that has done this, what's the best way - get a huge box and put 2 in a box or try to put all 4 on a crate etc?

Gimme tips please.

2. Liam

Liam

Media:
    Albums:
    i would build a crate and ship - maybe two crates..

3. lingo

lingo

find a local body shop and go thruogh their boxes until you find 4 useable (door) boxes and strap them to a pallet.

4. Cube Dweller

Cube Dweller Moderator

buy 3-4 sheets of OSB and some cheap 2x4s and build a crate w/ dividers on top of a pallet. I would be surprised if FA didn't ship pallets 2 high, ie your box has to be able to withstand a pallet on top of it.

Another alternative is an "Iata" (eye-et-ah). It's a 2-3 ply cardboard box with a pallet sized footprint. 3 sides are fixed, the forth is like a door. Top and bottom are seperate pieces as well. You could toss the pallet on your trailer, Iata bottom, 3 sides, load the doors, install the 4th side, stuff it with other packaging material to keep the doors centered and from bouncing. Then put the top on it, tape it down, then use shipping shrink wrap to fasten it to the pallet. The are designed to be stacked 2-3 high inside a trailer.

Probably spendy, but fast. Shipping or warehouse co's will be familiar. I worked in the parts organization for a big co for a while, everything gets shipped in bulk in iatas.

5. cruzer

cruzer

forward air doesn't ""need"" to be able to stack the pallets. I sent a PTO winch in a plastic bucket ratchet strapped to a small pallet we had at work and they took it no problem:)

Stew

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.