1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shipping bicycles

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by mot, Aug 14, 2006.

1. mot

mot

I'm getting ready to go back to Japan after almost four weeks.:frown:

I have a couple of bikes, one road and one mountain bikes that I used to ride that I would like to take back to Japan with me.

What are my options in doing so?
    Do bike shops have/sell boxes that you can use for that purpose or do I try a place like UPS or FedEx?

I had a friend in Japan who offered to lend me a hardshell case for one but I was not planning on bringing one (or both) back seriously.

If I were to send one/both, instead taking them on my flights, which method(s) do you recommend and how much $$$ am I looking at spending.

Anybody with any experience packing/taking/shipping bikes abroad?

Thanks in advance!!

Mot

2. wesintl

wesintl

Media:
    Albums:
    Mot,
    I would think taking them on the plane back would be the best option. I don't even want to know what shipping a bike box to japan runs. Use the hard case for the nicer one and use a bike box for the other and check them. Just make sure the bike box is within the oversized items for check and you might have to pay another $50-100 ea.

Bike store should give you the box. You will need to disassemble some of it. Or pay them to put it back in teh box with all the original packing.

Have a safe trip back. :)

3. mot

mot

Wes,

Thanks for the quick response.

So you are telling me that I can go to a bike shop and either ask them to give me a couple of used boxes and do the work myself or ask them to disassemble my bikes (which I bought many, many moons ago at a different shop) and put them in the box for me for a fee?

BTW, I sent your lights off today!
    Thanks for your patience and hope you get them in a couple of days!!

Yours,

Mot:grinpimp:

4. Ian Rogers

Ian Rogers

you could buy a bike case like a gun case this will help to make sure it get there in one pice

5. mot

mot

How much of it does it need to be disassembled: front/rear wheels, seat(post), handlebars, pedals, cranks???

Thanks!

Mot:zilla: (My kid made me choose this)

6. devo

devo

haven't shipped overseas.
    shipping in the states is made easy by buying cardboard bike boxes from the local ship & pak for about $30.00. the bikes ship well if packed well.
    i have also gotten "free" boxes from the local bike store. but they don't do that any more. only experience is with ups and dhl.
    you do have to partially disassemble the bike.
    good luck,

devo

7. wesintl

wesintl

Media:
    Albums:
    yep. They might charge $20-50 for disassembly and packing. Working in a bike shop we would regularly pack and ship bikes for customers going to europe, out west or wherever cycling. I'm sure you could look up on ups.com or fedex.com and see what the slow boat will run you, but I still think the best bet is check them. It'll be a pita but most likely cheaper.

8. SteveO

SteveO

To pack it you need to take off the wheels, pedals and loosen the stem to turn it 90 degrees. New bikes come with spacers to keep the forks and rear stays from getting crushed together as well. I don't know if I'd trust an aluminum road frame to the baggage handlers on a flight to Japan though. You might want to look in to renting a hard case from a shop. I do the wiring for a few shops in town and they rent them out to travellers. But that could be a problem if you're taking them one way. Good luck. ....Steve

9. OZCAL

OZCAL

Hey Mot, I think it's about $55 to ship 30 lbs USPS to Japan. I'm about to ship an old Vitus carbon fiber road bike to Australia, if I can ever find a 23 mm seatpost for it...:frown:

Not bad considering the hassle of hauling them to the airport these days.

How much do your bikes weigh?

You can remove a lot of parts and bring them home in your luggage, then just ship the frame/wheels/bars.

On the other hand, I have thrown unboxed, partially broken down racing bikes in oversize luggage and had them come out intact, while teammates who tried using cardboard bike boxes had damage because the boxes were at the bottom of the pile. Luck of the draw.

Good luck,

David

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">