shipping 5 wheels/tires...your experiences? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so im trying to get a set of 5 wheels/tires shipped from WV to WA. been racking my brain researching for how to ship them. fedex and the likes have been quoting me from $5-700! :eek:

looking at freight companies as well, and thats getting up to 400 still, on a pallet. i keep reading about shipping large off road tires for $2-300 for a set..who are these people using? these are for 5 35" tires at about 90lbs each.

so, if youve shipped tires cross country, who/what have you used and at what cost?

if this in the wrong forum, mods please move. but these are for my 80..so thats somewhat 80 tech..no?

thanks!

fedex freight is a rip off...check out R&L

I've had no expirience with them but I've heard greyhound may be an option.

I had a front bumper for a Honda Civic shipped to me via Greyhound. I've also received and shipped two sets of wheels via Fed Ex. Was fairly cheap as I recall, relatively speaking.

i had a motor for a honda shipped form atl to nj 150$ on a pallet with r&l. now that was part of the purchase price for the motor through jarco, but still not bad for a 250 lb shipping weight.

$400 sounds about right. I did a reseach recently, 4 tires with 50 lbs each, don't remember the distance, it would run about half of that. If you have a commerical account with one of the major shipping carriers, it will save you big $$$.

Greyhound.

I've had sets of tires & seats shipped to me via Greyhound - they were tires only (4) - and the guy banded the tires into pairs - they were smaller tires for my BMW, so weight wise they might not want yours banded into pairs, but long story short, the seller researched shipping for a couple days & IIRC it was ~$100 for the pair of front seats from Baltimore to WA state - I didn't pay for the tires shipping, that was free in the auction the tires came from, but Greyhound must have been the cheapest the seller could find.

Maybe call Tire Rack & see how they ship sets of wheel / tire combos ??

throw them on a pallet and talk with Forward Air....shipped a 60 frame that way across the country

I have shipped FedEx Ground / Home Delivery without any issues...sent my ARB via FedEx Freight and had no issues there either.

- Mark

X2 for R&L, I bought a motor for my cruiser off a fellow Mudder, paid $400 shipping from Atlanta, GA to Pittsburgh, PA didn't think that was bad for about 500 lbs

thanks for the tips guys. didnt realize shipping 500lbs worth of tires would cost half of the cost of the tires :( looks like an average of about $450, with a couple quotes for under 400...but thats with estimated weights.
another question: when talking weight, is the weight measured by whats on the pallet only? or pallet + contents?

btw: found a site called freightcenter.com. pretty good site, and gives you quotes from multiple carriers. got some that are fairly reasonable from companies like YRC and vitran. anyone heard of these companies?

Go to craigslist or find a college student who could take with.
Make sure you check them out really well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom