Shims in F1.5 motor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

James Madigan

SILVER Star
Threads
I found a couple of shims in my F155 engine.I think they were under the main bearing caps.Some say this was never done but some say yes,Toyota used shims.Why do i ask because i cant get my crank to turn when tightened down to spec.

Seems like you may have answered your own question.

There is a thread here about shims, but I can't find it at the moment.

Yes some did have shims. read the caution in the repair manual.

Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 6.43.58 PM.png

Shims are critical. Many moons ago, had my engine rebuilt, April of 73 1F F155. Put it all back in, started it and ran it for an hour as break in. Shut it off and it stopped hard. Never turned again. Opened the case and filter, and they were clear full of babbit from the bearings. Engine had to be completely re-done.

Supposedly the main caps are cast on the block on the F engines. Then bored and then cut off the block. The shims replace the lost material of this process from the band saw. They make the holes round again, without them, crank will be too tight. Did you use plastigage? I think they only way to reshim without knowing what went where is to measure the ID of each journal. Shim till round. Then plastigage on the crank while installed and see if you have the required clearance. You can also try trial and error with shim thickness and plastigage on each journal.

I know I bought a shim kit, OEM parts from SOR, but that has been 25+ years ago. A machine shop or good auto shop can get shim material also, but I don't know how to stamp them out like the factory shims were to match the cap bases precisely, probably not super critical.

Post some pix of the shims, if you can. Will help peeps in the future with same issue...

Shims are critical. Many moons ago, had my engine rebuilt, April of 73 1F F155. Put it all back in, started it and ran it for an hour as break in. Shut it off and it stopped hard. Never turned again. Opened the case and filter, and they were clear full of babbit from the bearings. Engine had to be completely re-done.

Supposedly the main caps are cast on the block on the F engines. Then bored and then cut off the block. The shims replace the lost material of this process from the band saw. They make the holes round again, without them, crank will be too tight. Did you use plastigage? I think they only way to reshim without knowing what went where is to measure the ID of each journal. Shim till round. Then plastigage on the crank while installed and see if you have the required clearance. You can also try trial and error with shim thickness and plastigage on each journal.

I know I bought a shim kit, OEM parts from SOR, but that has been 25+ years ago. A machine shop or good auto shop can get shim material also, but I don't know how to stamp them out like the factory shims were to match the cap bases precisely, probably not super critical.
I have known about the shims from the get-go. I bought Ruftoys with spun bearings (Delco dizzy) and had to reset my polished crank with a fresh set of shims from SOR in early 1986. But I have never heard/read about the caps being cast with the block then cut off. It seems logical enough. Just not something I’d ever thought of. Thanks.

Ive been looking and i cant find a place to get the shims. Anybody know a place?

$OR still lists them on their website. :meh:

Apparently I have become a vendor of last resort.☹️

Well Ty but i dont need shims, i went to another F155 motor that never used them. So im building that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom