Shim or shackle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Had wander and driveline vibration, my shackles are approx 1 1/2 inches longer than stock with Rancho 2 1/2 inch lift springs. Just put in some 4* spring shims in the front and back. Wander is gone woohoo. Driveline vibration is gone on the highway (65 mph to 75 mph) which is awesome because I do alot of hiway driving. But now I have a driveline vibration on the regular streets in 4th gear (35 mph to 45 mph) :mad: (I say 4th gear because in 3rd the 350 is going pretty good so I can't tell if its the engine or the driveline)
My question is: Do you think I should:
a)Live with it
b)Change to 2.5* spring shims
c)Change to 2 1/2 inch longer shackles
d)Take out the shims?

Thanks

The driveline vibrations I have had continue to get worse with increasing speed. Are you sure you don't have a wheel balance issue?

Assuming that your driveshaft slip yokes and U joints are not worn out and the drive shaft is in phase and balanced:

e) Make sure that your transfer case output flange is parallel within 1 degree with the differential pinion flange using an angle finder. Guessing about these angles is not reliable.

Just got done tightening up the pinion nut, that was a suggestion on a previous post, lots of play in the, I think "backlash" (that is how far the pinion turns before the carrier starts to turn?) Staked the nut and test drove, no change.

e) Sounds good, I will have to go to Home Depot and pick up an angle finder.

and

f) looks like I will need a new third...

tightening the pinion nut just pulls the pinion gear up into the bearing...to adjust your slop, you have to adjust the carrier assy (inside the rear diff, there are two adjusters on the sides of the carrier).

fussy_cruiser said:
Just got done tightening up the pinion nut, that was a suggestion on a previous post, lots of play in the, I think "backlash" (that is how far the pinion turns before the carrier starts to turn?) Staked the nut and test drove, no change.

You need to be really careful fooling with the pinion nut. Once the pinion preload has been set with shims, this nut should never just "come loose". If it did something bad happened. If the bearings are bad or if you over tighten the nut, the bearings won't last long.

The rotational slop in the pinion flange is no big deal and most of it is due to wear ign the side gears and spider gears.

didn't think to ask, but you did check your ujoints right???

Pin_Head said:
You need to be really careful fooling with the pinion nut. Once the pinion preload has been set with shims, this nut should never just "come loose". If it did something bad happened. If the bearings are bad or if you over tighten the nut, the bearings won't last long.

The rotational slop in the pinion flange is no big deal and most of it is due to wear ign the side gears and spider gears.

Following Pin Heads thoughts... You may have spun your shim in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom