Shim for axel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SHERMAN FJ62

Charlestons' King of Cruisers
Threads
I recently replaced the front springs on my FJ62 with new OME light duty springs. I need to align it but should I have shimmed the springs when I installed them? I have been told conflicting info. Since installing the springs I get a lot of front end vibrations at 50mph. Probably alignment but want to see what other people's experience

You don't need shims for light duty springs. And even if you did (which you don't) correcting the caster angle would only improve tracking, not influence vibration.

New springs are almost always stiffer than the springs they replaced, even if they're light duty jobs. It could be that you're just feeling the effects of a higher spring rate (stiffer spring) on the highway...and what your worn out springs used to absorb (wheel/tire vibration) is now being transmitted to the body due to the stiffer springs.

I'd have the wheels' balance checked first. Checking toe-in is a good thing to do if it's never been done, but I doubt that's the problem.

Also check the tightness of the wheel bearings. No slop.

In my experience, caster related problems (which would require shimming to change) are not primarily related to vibration. They tend to make the steering "twitchy ", following ruts in the road, impossible to flat tow, etc.
Vibration at a specific speed could be any of the other front end components being worn or alignment or balance.
Start with the easiest and cheapest, and work through the list... balance, alignment, parts replacement.
Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom