Shifty Shifting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
eyebrowns.blogspot.com
so about half the time I am driving, my FJ60's 4 speed is difficult to get into reverse. Clutch to the floor, when moving the shifter down into reverse, it grinds. Is my clutch going?
Also, sometimes it's hard (read: takes physical strength) to get it into 1st gear when stopped.
again, is my clutch going?

thanks for your input,

brian

Clutch most likely, or the master/slave..

What year is your 60?

does it make it easier if you let out on the clutch a bit while tryying to shift it into gear?

lunyou

Is there something wrong if it grinds when going into reverse?

I don't have any other issues I am just wondering.

It seems to only do it on inclines though.

Last edited:
Is there something wrong if it grinds when going into reverse?

I don't have any other issues I am just wondering.

It seems to only do it on inclines though.

I am not totally familiar with the Toyota manual trannies, but most are not synchroed (sp?) in reverse, so sometimes grinding into rewind is normal. Trying running it thru 1st and 2nd before going into reverse. This usually allows it to go into R smoother.

X2 MTB_rider... Go 1-2 and then R. Or just pause a bit...

Go to 2nd first, it's got something to do with the syncros spinning or not spinning or some such deal (I'm a lot of help here, huh) by going into a syncro-ed gear it does some deal to open up reverse which if I remember right is not syncronized..I'm sure someone will correct me here if totally out of wack, I've got a new clutch and reverse can still be a bitch if I don't go 1st to 2nd or just to 2nd before trying reverse..nature of the beast...

I think they all do it especially on start up like backing out of the drive.

Not synchros if he is having a hard time getting it into first at a stoplight.

The clutch either needs to be adjusted (if it is old enough to be adjusted), the master/slave is going bad, or the clutch is worn out.

Most likely the master/slave if the clutch does not slip..

Since I learned to drive….. I was always instructed to put it in first right before I put in reverse (releasing the clutch in reverse). Been driving that way ever since. Does wonders if your in a hurry! A lot faster than trying to pry-it into reverse. Saves your tranny too.:cool:

thanks guys!

Not synchros if he is having a hard time getting it into first at a stoplight.

The clutch either needs to be adjusted (if it is old enough to be adjusted), the master/slave is going bad, or the clutch is worn out.

Most likely the master/slave if the clutch does not slip..

We were actually responding to Kline's question. Didn't mean to high jack. Sorry.

Its an '87. Seems like when i first bought it (not very long ago...like 2 weeks) it was a lot smoother. It hasn't been driven over the last 3 years very much. Since I drive it everyday, it's gotten harder. It may be that it just needs everything tightened up a bit since it was so very lightly used. I will check to see if it's the sychro's (by puttting it into first or second before attempting to put it in reverse). Do I need to actually *move* (even if it's 4 inches or something) to get the thing to realize it's in gear, or can i just go through the motions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom