shifting RPMS and redline (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lemoore, CA (south of Fresno) / Cortes Island, B.C
Ok so I finally got my 73 FJ40 with the 3 speed tranny, F engine, and 4.11 gears with 33s running and it is totally different than my old CJ. With the rig being new to me and the new sounds and unfamiliar engine, what is a good shifting RPM so that I do not rev out the engine? the engine is a lot louder (less insulation and noiser gears) than I am familiar with. I also need to set the redline ont he tach. I know when to shift to not lug, but how high could my RPMS go before I start to redline? Until I can do it by sound, I do not want to be off-road and shift with too high RPMs. With the CJ, I was safe shifitng up to around 3000-3500 RPMS, but the engine in the cruiser is different. So what is considered normal shifting RPMS for the straight six for my 73.

REdline is at 4000 but I do not what to get that high, but set my tach there.

slickrock said:
Ok so I finally got my 73 FJ40 with the 3 speed tranny, F engine, and 4.11 gears with 33s running and it is totally different than my old CJ. With the rig being new to me and the new sounds and unfamiliar engine, what is a good shifting RPM so that I do not rev out the engine? the engine is a lot louder (less insulation and noiser gears) than I am familiar with. I also need to set the redline ont he tach. I know when to shift to not lug, but how high could my RPMS go before I start to redline? Until I can do it by sound, I do not want to be off-road and shift with too high RPMs. With the CJ, I was safe shifitng up to around 3000-3500 RPMS, but the engine in the cruiser is different. So what is considered normal shifting RPMS for the straight six for my 73.

Also, what would be considered redline for the old straight six? thanks.
One more time please not sure I understand what you're asking. ;p

I don't have a tach.

The lower you shift, the better your gas mileage.

I've run my old F engine (what you have) for 3300 rpms for extended amounts of time.

HawkDriver said:
One more time please not sure I understand what you're asking. ;p

Yeah I guess my wording is challenged. OK, in short, what is considered the optimal shifting RPM for an F Engine with the 3 speed tranny.

Redline is about 4000 RPMS on this engine.

Sorry about that.

shifting in town 2k
shifting to pass 2500-3k

redline on a f motor is 4k
but in reality, dont push it
make redline 3500

Shift at 3-3500 ;)

I shift mine around 2200.....If i'm in town, I keep it in second gear (3 speed tranny) most of the time. I do a complete stop only if I see a cop.....

i shift my 2f around 3800, but iv just let it go to 6000 just reving it DAM it was loud!

FJ40onNOS said:
i shift my 2f around 3800, but iv just let it go to 6000 just reving it DAM it was loud!
Yours is now getting rebuilt right?;)

i shift at 3700, peak power is at 3600 and it drops off dramatically from there so no point reving the rings out past that.

as for downshifting, these are big healthy manly motors... i'll lug mine along at 600rpms in 4th if i'm lazy.

and shifting early doesn't always = better gas milage, it all depends how your motor delivers it's power. if it struggles below 2500, and you shift at 2, it'll take alot longer to get to cruising speed, for example, with made up figures, 1 minute using 2 gallons of fuel an hour, or 5 minutes using 1.5 gallons of fuel an hour... which works out more efficient?

probably best bet is to shift before your peak horsepower, so that the next gear falls back just below the torque peak, as the torque peak is where the motor is using ing the most energy from the fuel to propel the car.

I just wind out 1st and 2nd, skip third, stay in 4th... who needs a tach? just use your ear, I get too nervous to keep revving before that motor will actually give.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom