Shifting into reverse (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I posted a similar thread a while back, so sorry for the repeat. I am having some trouble shifting into reverse at idle. My idle speed is normal and an earlier suggestion about shifting into second then reverse worked for a while but now doesn't seem to do any good. Does anyone know what the problem is? Also, I don't know if it is unrelated, but when the engine reaches about 180 deg, it is harder to shift into any gear. Does that sound like a clutch adjustment?

Thanks,

Zglad

Does it grind, or does it just not go? Mine sometimes won't go into reverse; if the "shift to second" trick doesn't work, I just ease the clutch out while gently pulling it into reverse. It works every time.

If it's grinding, I think that's a clutch adjustment issue.

It grinds. I can always force it in, but I really hate to do that. The fluid levels should be really close. I just topped them off in the spring and I haven't really driven the cruiser much since. No puddles in the garage floor ether. Is there any other way to tell if the pilot bearing is bad?

if your pushing in the clutch

and trying to put it in rev. you cant!
rev. is not syncro mesh.
you have to either WAIT a couple of seconds for the shafts in the trans to stop/slow down
or put it in 2nd to stop them, and then put it in rev.
it's the same with first gear if you have a 3 spd

After I put the transmission in second gear, reverse still grinds. It doesn't matter how long I wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom