Shifter removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I finally got a new (used) Tuffy center console for my FJ 40. Cup holders, an arm rest, and a place for change are a major improvement. I love it! The shifter nob hits it slightly when I shift into second gear, so I want to take out the shifter and bend it slightly in the vice. The only trouble is, I can't get it out. I was told to press down and turn it to the right with a vice grips, but I couldn't get it to budge. I don't think I want to try and bend it in place. So how exactly do you get it out?

The easiest way to do it is to grab two big ended flat head screwdrivers. Put the tips parrallel with the flat edges of the shifter, push down, and rotate the thing to the right, it will then pop right out.

Mike

Look at the Specter catalog on page 62 if you want to see a small picture of what you're dealing with. You need to compress the spring enough to clear the tabs, then turn it. When I was converting my column shift to a floor shift, the new spring was very stiff, so it was hard to compress and turn at the same time. The 2 screwdriver method is what worked for us.

Maybe a stupid question, but, how do you get the shifter knob off the shifter? Does it unscrew. I have tried this but it won't budge. I have not tried in a while b/c I don't want to break it. Any suggestions?

:cheers:

Im assuming a 4 speed trans?? yes the shifter knob unscrews.

if you have a haynes manual there is a good photo and wording on how to remove the shifter.

Maybe someone can scan it for you.

It takes a while but it does work, I ended up using some vise grips. Get them snug around the base of the shifter just above the silver retainer. then tap down on the grips, they should compress the spring and then twist. should come out. I emphisize tap the vise grips so you dont mar the shifter.

You can bend the shifter without removing it or damaging the transmission. Place a brick or something between the base of the shifter and the heater. The purpose of this is so when you push the shifter up (towards the heater) the base will stop at the brick not providing any stress to the tranny. Heat the shifter at the curve and push, maybe use a wrench for leverage. The important thing is to not allow any stress into the tranny.

Thanks, guys. I went to SOR and printed off the diagram. It definitely helps to understand what's going on down there. I think I'll try the vicegrips route. I guess I just have a real stiff spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom