Shifter pulls into second and wont stay in first gear. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can someone tell me how to fix this. I haven't taken the shifter apart in fear that I broke a pin that holds it into gear or something similar to that. I would like to know how to fix it or at least a idea before I start tearing apart the trim panels and shift selector.

My gx is automatic and I only use 1st through 4th for 4low. I always put in neutral then shift to 4low then to second (because first wont stay in gear).

When I put my gx470 into first it pulls into second when I let go of the shifter. Same with 4th. It just plops over to drive. It's almost like whatever is supposed to hold it there broke.

That being said I did force it from second to 1st/low when we first got it because it was VERY sticky. I figured the previous owner was a soccer mom and never used 4 low. The low high selector was sticky too, but isn't no longer.

Can someone tell me how to fix this. I haven't taken the shifter apart in fear that I broke a pin that holds it into gear or something similar to that. I would like to know how to fix it or at least a idea before I start tearing apart the trim panels and shift selector.

My gx is automatic and I only use 1st through 4th for 4low. I always put in neutral then shift to 4low then to second (because first wont stay in gear).

When I put my gx470 into first it pulls into second when I let go of the shifter. Same with 4th. It just plops over to drive. It's almost like whatever is supposed to hold it there broke.

That being said I did force it from second to 1st/low when we first got it because it was VERY sticky. I figured the previous owner was a soccer mom and never used 4 low. The low high selector was sticky too, but isn't no longer.
The issue is that the locating pin inside the shift assembly has popped out of it's retainer. You could open the shift assembly and locate the little pin and replace it, but that will only be a temporary solution. This pin will continue to pop out now that the lid it travels on is worn.

I encountered this issue some time ago and decided to have a larger stainless steel dowel made to replace the stock one. I also found an excellent spring to provide a good shift while allowing the dowel to navigate against the assembly lid without ejecting itself.

I've been running the above mentioned combo for about 6 months trouble free.

I'm thinking about placing a larger order to sell. Would you be interested in this product? If so, what would you be willing to pay?

shiftAssembly.jpeg

IMG_1531.JPG

IMG_1532.JPG

IMG_2745.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom