Shifter needle adjustment? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Seems like. Simple task, my needle on the shifter is off buy a full gears, so when I’m drive it’s in N, the dash lights up sometimes except for drive, not a huge deal have gotten the shift down, but at first I was putting it into 2nd instead of D. Anyways is the adjuster under the console? Easy to access? Common issue? It also seems like the shifter is a lil loose will move from gear to gear with little effort instead of locking into place, is this pretty normal?

In order to get those who know involved you need to post the year of your 80 and any other descriptive details. You particular verbiage isn’t any I’ve run across. I’m sure someone will be able to assist you.

Perhaps you could remove the shifter console and perform your own investigation

my needle on the shifter is off buy a full gears, so when I’m drive it’s in N, the dash lights up sometimes except for drive
Are you saying that the indicator at the base of the shifter is off, but that the gear indicator lights on the dash are accurate?

Seems like. Simple task, my needle on the shifter is off buy a full gears, so when I’m drive it’s in N, the dash lights up sometimes except for drive, not a huge deal have gotten the shift down, but at first I was putting it into 2nd instead of D. Anyways is the adjuster under the console? Easy to access? Common issue? It also seems like the shifter is a lil loose will move from gear to gear with little effort instead of locking into place, is this pretty normal?
There are sets of bushings and grommets on the ends of the linkage that connects the shift mechanism to the transmission, they wear and/or disintegrate. They are still available from Toyota.

• 90480-17177 grommet
  • 90389-08005 bushing
  • 90468-14017 Clip (sometimes breaks or gets lost, cheap insurance)
The linkage can be adjusted, but usually the problem is just the loose bushing/grommet, and replacing them will bring the linkage back into alignment. If the connection is loose, it can't be adjusted properly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom