Shifter "clicking" noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I'm new to this board. I recently bought a used 2000 LC. It has been wonderful until today when I moved the gear shifter and heard a strange "clicking" noise coming from inside the shift handle area. The vehicle still drives fine, but I'm worried about letting a small problem get worse. Its got about 50k miles and is otherwise fine. Thanks for any advise.

Welcome aboard!

Are you sure this is not the safety shift lock that disengages (make clicking sound) when you step on the brake pedal (you could feel the vibration on the shift handle) ?

Frank.

Thanks for responding. I don't think so. I've had this vehicle for 6 mos. and haven't noticed this until now. The sound is kind of like plastic sliding or rubbing the wrong way inside the shift mechanism. I'm aware that this is the type of thing that someone has to hear/see for themselves but I was hoping that it might be a problem that others have had and fixed. As a woman, I'm worried whenever I visit the dealership for anything other than an oil change...especially for mysterious noises! Thanks again.

I haven't heard anyone with the described symptoms previously. What part of the world are you located in? It may be something related to hot or cold temps. Have you had any other problems or service done lately? Where do you park the car, level ground or on an incline and do you use the handbrake? Have you been off road lately and possibly snagged a stick or branch on the linkage underneath? The more information we can get the better the guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom