shift problems after head gasket replaced (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1994 FJ80, I noticed that I was loosing water from my radiator and had my head gasket replaced. Seems to have fixed the water problem. However, Since I got my truck back if I try to drive the truck before it completely warms up and the idle kicks off it will not shift into overdrive. When the idle does kick off my check engine light comes on and then the truck will shift into overdrive. In addition after the truck warms up I noticed a very faint "tick" sound when I accelerate from a stop or going up a hill. I have had a mechanic look into this and they could not figure out the problem. They did inform me that it was was not a transmission problem. None of these problems existed before I had the head gasket replaced. Can you help!!!!

Is this the same 80 you posted about yesterday that just had a s/c installed that was giving problems?

cheers,
george.

beno- this is not the same cruiser. I friend of mine was having a problem and i let him use my log in. Thanks so much for you help yesterday. i am going to redo the install monday evening. I will let everyone know what went wrong.

beno- this is not the same cruiser. I friend of mine was having a problem and i let him use my log in. Thanks so much for you help yesterday. i am going to redo the install monday evening. I will let everyone know what went wrong.

Regardless if it was for the same cruiser or not, I am just suggesting places to start for diagnosing your problem.

Also check broken air intake hose, IAC adjustment, vacuum hoses as well.

Start off by figuring out what code the truck is blowing.

FYI, the torque converter will not lock up until the vehicle senses that it is warmed up and that's normal for emission purposes. I've never noticed before, but this may apply to the O/D as well - anyone?

Either way, it sounds like you need to check the codes with the procedure on the hood sticker above the data link on the right side of the firewall near the cruise control. You can find the procedure here on Mud as well. You'll need a paper clip.

I'm guessing a sensor somewhere got broken or a wiring issue on the head reinstall. Did they pull the wire harness through the intake manifold, or pull the wires off the ECU to pull them through the intake manifold? That can be kinda rough on the wires.

DougM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom