Shift Lock on 94 FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was out on some light trails near Mt. Saint Helens and after I got off the trail I put it in Park on a slight hill and jumped out the check for some body damage and when I got back in it would not come out of park. I pulled out the screw diver and manualy got it out. did it again and again until I found out the brake light fuse had blown. Just wondering if it was just the fuses time to go or is something else maybe wrong. It is working fine with the new fuse.

Tim

if you could disengage manually then you are probably ok on the transmission itself, the brake pedal i thought had a different sensor for the park release but that might just be on the fj series. so in rambling I will say you are fine.
Dave

That's 'normal', same exact thing happened on my '97, only it was when my dad borrowed it and was towing a car from Denver to Cleveland, in Kansas City they got gas, wouldn't move, they didn't know about the screwdriver thingy. They get on the phone with a Lexus dealership there in KC, frantic about breaking their son's new (to me) Lexus (I had only had it for a month or two)...dealership told them to replace that fuse and off they went. The car-dolly they borrowed had horrible wiring, everything was shorting out, that's what blew the fuse in this case. Kinda scared them about borrowing it, now they won't touch it.

I think it's a bad design to have just a brake light go out and then you can't shift, but that's what it does, atleast we know how to manually make it go.

Later..
Mark Brodis

The shifter will not move out of park. I guess it is a safety feature so you know when your brakes lights are out! 8)

Tim

It is an interlock that prevents the transmission from being shifted out of park inadvertently. It has to derive it's signal from some place so it uses the brake light switch circuit. At least Toyota was thoughtful enough to provide a simple manual over-ride and to explain it's function in the owner's manual that most people never read.

My shift lock doesn't lock. I can shift into "D" any time, with or without the key in or pushing the brake ( I think youall have to press the brake to shift, right?)
The PO left a new thumb button for the shifter in the glove box. It is new in box. Does the thumb button on the shifter controll the shift lock? Or did the PO just waist his $$$

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom