sheered front right tire off..need suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'll try to keep this short, last week my right front caliper "froze up" replaced the pads and installed a brand new caliper, bled brakes, all was fine, I don't use my cruiser for a DD, but my daughter had my prius, yes prius for the day, so I took y cruiser to work, I went out for lunch and my caliper "froze" again, I limped it over to my friends and he said I should have done a total brake fluid flush, so me trying to save on money, I cut the brake line crimped it off and decided to limp it home about 5 miles, the entire time it still felt like the caliper was froze, I went to pull it in my back yard to my concrete slab that I do my wrenching on and my tire sheers OFF! gets stuck under the cruiser beneath the cruiserand currently is the only thing from keep the cruiser from tipping over to one side..so I take another beater car of mine and get back to work for the rest of today..SO I am assuming all of my bearings heated up and seized up from the heat of the caliper or there was something internally wrong to begin with...NOW I am going to do a complete rebuild of both sides with all new parts, Does anyone have any suggestions for an entire kit?? or is this something I have to piece together? I did a quick search and found places to buy the birfs and other parts, just want to know the best way to approach this, and you guys always have good advice, any suggestions or flaming is welcome at this point..i am lucky it didn't sheer off on the HWY LOL...thank in advance!

It sheared off at the wheel studs or the entire spindle? Do you have pics you can post?

I had something similar happen, I think it was the birfield that kept it on, or actually the calliper on the disc. Had to cut the birf, bearings were very very done and what was left of spindle nuts and washers did not resemble s the single components.

Your looking for parts, at minimum bearings spindle nuts and washers and seals, probably the spindle and birf, maybe the knuckle housing, and then you'll be thinking you may as well service the other side too.

Bummer. Let us know how it goes

Sounds like it could have been wheel bearing nuts coming loose so that the hub and brake rotor were moving a lot and causing the "binding" in the caliper. You may not have had a brake pressure build up or sticky pad issue all along but instead a hub/rotor that was moving a lot? Pics and details and folks on here can help you sort it out whatever has happened and def. plan to fix both sides this time!

Lots of BAD possibilities there.

Wheel bearings
Spindle
Trunnion bearings
Steering arm studs

I'll bet it's steering arm studs sheared off and the wheel wedges out.
thisthreadisuselesswithoutpichers.jpg

Sounds like it could have been wheel bearing nuts coming loose so that the hub and brake rotor were moving a lot and causing the "binding" in the caliper. You may not have had a brake pressure build up or sticky pad issue all along but instead a hub/rotor that was moving a lot? Pics and details and folks on here can help you sort it out whatever has happened and def. plan to fix both sides this time!
My thoughts too

Pictures pictures pictures, my wheel came off once.
20160515_193042.jpg

HOLY F***ING FRIJOLES!!!!!!! BATMAN!!!

That would be lost wheel bearings in the WORST way, ever!

New parts you need:
spindle
wheel bearings
hub
brake rotors
birfield
front axle rebuild kit from @cruiseroutfit
Maybe new catalytic converters and exhaust downpipe now (since the truck is sitting on it)

Get out the paddles for your checkbook! It's about ready to have a heart attack!

And BTW, the "sticking brake caliper" you were feeling was the bearings locking up. How could you NOT check that when you replaced the caliper? The bish had to be SMOKING!

WOW! Nicely done, impressive work.

To break the rotor like that, it had to have been supporting the wheel for a while, like was mentioned above.

Well the first time it happened, one of the 4 pistons in the calipers was completely stuck, so I just assumed that was the problem, the rubber around the Piston was really beat up so again I assumed it had debris in it, after I put a new caliper on it seemed fine, oh well chalk this one up to a learning experience

Also get new brake hoses while you're at it.

Rebuild the entire front axle, and you MAY need another new caliper after the severe heat it has been subjected to. NAPA has the good reman versions.

Hey, we'll bag on you a bit, but hang in there! We'll also help you out.

@LS1FJ40 is north of you in CR, and he gets really cheap oil changes at the local Toyota dealer. Get with him and have him hook you up!

Also, Toyota Parts | Toyota Online Parts | Genuine Toyota Parts | Toyota Parts Online is good for other new parts you need, right to your door.

I'm just glad you didn't wreck it while you were at it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom