Sheared Knuckle Stud Threads - What are my options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After driving 1400 miles on the road with 37" tires and wheeling for over a week in Moab, my knuckle studs went loose and snapped on the trail.

Apparently, that's a common issue and I got some good info from the following thread:

I'm in the process of rebuilding the knuckle. seems like 3 out of 4 threads in the knuckle are still good but the 4th one has completely sheared.

What are the common solutions for this?

I have bad experience using Time-Sert (on the brake caliper bolts...they don't hold...).

I was thinking to drill and tap a Dana 60 kingpin stud. had anyone done this?

Other ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Upgrade to new 79 series knuckle studs, and all new cone washers, nuts, flat washers etc

Screenshot_20230606_172813_Brave.jpg

Remove all existing studs, thoroughly clean threads, install new 79 series studs, install cone washers etc use medium grade locktite on the nuts (or don't).

Key is, start fresh, clean, and torque to factory specs.

Absolute WitsEnd has locking tabs to lock the nuts for these if you want to roll the dice and send them money buyer beware

Last edited:
Upgrade to new 79 series knuckle studs, and all new cone washers, nuts, flat washers etc

View attachment 3341838

Remove all existing studs, thoroughly clean threads, install new 79 series studs, install cone washers etc use medium grade locktite on the nuts (or don't).

Key is, start fresh, clean, and torque to factory specs.

Absolute WitsEnd has locking tabs to lock the nuts for these if you want to roll the dice and send them money

That doesn't help him on the hole with no threads.

A helicoil or a new knuckle would be the only options

After driving 1400 miles on the road with 37" tires and wheeling for over a week in Moab, my knuckle studs went loose and snapped on the trail.

Apparently, that's a common issue and I got some good info from the following thread:

I'm in the process of rebuilding the knuckle. seems like 3 out of 4 threads in the knuckle are still good but the 4th one has completely sheared.

I have bad experience using Time-Sert (on the brake caliper bolts...they don't hold...).

Other ideas?

Thanks in advance!
If one has sheared off, remove the stud piece by drilling or just unscrewing it.
The threads may be exposed internally inside the knuckle ball.

If the threads are wallowed out, install all new studs and cone washers in there as well as the he knuckle and steering arm, then tack weld the stud from the inside after it has been fully torqued and aligned.

Otherwise Helicoil or Timesert with Loctite.

Other ideas?

Thanks in advance!
If you've sheared the stud, the problem isn't with the material, it's with the stud. Just replace it and you'll be fine.

If you've pulled the stud out of the housing, that's a different problem.

You should be able to repair the threads with a helicoil, timesert or keensert and get the same pull out strength the parent material had; assuming there a re no material defects in the hole. This is exactly what these products are designed to do. IME, they are picky about being installed properly; doing it with a hand drill on the ground in the driveway isn't the best of all possible situations.

a Time-sert if installed correctly is generally stronger then the original material. Helicoil would also be acceptable for this application. That being said, knuckles are available new, so several options. I sell them for about $300

Last edited:
Or reach out @slow95z He may be able to overnight a used one 🤷‍♂️ I would want to replace it new or used.
I'm sure it's the passenger side ?

You need to carry and use this especially if your running 37" and running harder trails. Check your nuts daily if your running trails !

1686059961106.png

Last edited:
I am not looking to part any front axles right now. Takes too long to sell the rest of the stuff.

I do have a few complete axles if anyone is looking at getting a diff or other parts I would be willing to tear one down but the minute I take one part off I am committed and it sucks lol.

Or reach out @slow95z He may be able to overnight a used one 🤷‍♂️ I would want to replace it new or used.
I sure it's the passenger side ?

You need to carry and use this especially if your running 37" and running harder trails. Check your nuts daily if your running trails !

View attachment 3341967
Alright, what is this finely crafted item?

Alright, what is this finely crafted item?
17mm offset wrench, Makes it ease to get on the back knuckle bolts ( socket & ratchet interfere with the backing plate ) the offset allows to go over the inside bolts.
Longer handle welded on so it's like a beaker bar ;)
Be for warned if you breakout a wrench like this everyone in your group will want to us it 😂

17mm offset wrench, Makes it ease to get on the back knuckle bolts ( socket & ratchet interfere with the backing plate ) the offset allows to go over the inside bolts.
Be for warned if you breakout a wrench like this everyone in your group will want to us it 😂

I was glad to see it when mine worked loose! Thanks for the reminder, its on my short list to make for this season.

So make sure you're invited on trail runs! Perfect!

Mid depth 17mm swivel socket works for me. Just have to pull against the wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom