She left me stranded... Starter won't engage Flywheel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I did not think I would have to write this (at least this soon) but after 3 weeks of ownership my 2002 LC left me stranded.

Battery is 2 months old. I have been driving back and forth to work for the last 3 weeks in it.

I started a thread on my small build
I happened upon a 100 Series 4 month build

Leaving work today, key spins the Starter Motor but it does not engage the motor (flywheel).
Tried jumping it (hoping it did not have enough juice to fire the solenoid), didn't work. Put it in park and tried rocking it back and forth, didn't work. I tried pushing it and throwing it into park (hoping to jar it loose), didn't work.

I am guessing the solenoid or plunger is stuck.

So here I am calling AAA for a tow home.

First off, rocking the truck will not turn over the engine with an automatic trans, because the output shaft is locked to the case by the parking pawl. You'd have better luck grabbing hold of the belt and trying to turn the crankshaft from the front.

There's a possibility the solenoid is not moving the starter drive, and there's also the possibility the gears on the gear reduction starter are stripped.

HTH

First off, rocking the truck will not turn over the engine with an automatic trans, because the output shaft is locked to the case by the parking pawl. You'd have better luck grabbing hold of the belt and trying to turn the crankshaft from the front.

There's a possibility the solenoid is not moving the starter drive, and there's also the possibility the gears on the gear reduction starter are stripped.

HTH

Yes, I know, I was just hoping to shock the starter solenoid or plunger to “unstick”. Motor turns fine.

Never a good idea to throw it into Park when moving.
There have been a few reports of flywheels breaking, so starter would not work, but expect that would make a lot of noise when it happened.

Never a good idea to throw it into Park when moving.
There have been a few reports of flywheels breaking, so starter would not work, but expect that would make a lot of noise when it happened.
Yep, I have seen that happen. I was only one person pushing a very heavy truck though...

Sometimes tapping on the starter with the metal hub cap removal tool (bar) in your tool bag, will move the contact washer or loosen the plunger just enough. If this works you know for sure it's the starter.

But often times it's not the starter but battery. I can't count the times a new battery is installed without greasing the post. Oxidation build up which inhibits current and sometimes even a jump won't work. Also dead cell and sometime a jump will not work. In these case I usually hear/feel a clunk as I try to start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom