she is soundin croaky (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gentlemen,

I have had my 79 since I was 15 and wheeled it through the trenches like a costa rican. During that time, all the random maladies and impossible resurrections have convinced me that it is a living organism, immune to normal mechanical theory. At the moment she is running pretty good, that is good enough to run to the lake and pull a jeep out, but in no way ready for tellico.
Over the last couple of days it has been rather tricky to crank. It cranks up on the first try, but if i turn it off and try to crank it, it sounds like its really struggling to turn over. Sounds fatigued. So its a no go, then after an hour or two of sitting there, it sounds like something has recharged and will turn over easily.
I took the starter and had it tested. Napa said it was fine. I also put a new terminal on the end of the wire that fits onto the male part of the solenoid/starter. Is this even a starter issue? One day, I would like to get a gear reduction starter. Is that what she is trying to tell me?

Muchos Gracias

1.Check the ground wire from the starter to the frame
2. A gear reduction motor is the best upgrade.
Your issue is probably a bad ground, you should check all your ground points.

Timing too advanced can cause a similar issue...starts fine cold, acts like the battery is almost dead hot.

I've no personal experience to back it up (being a diesel person) .... But I've read enough threads to agree that timing issues are a common cause of these symptoms.

:beer:

+1 on the timing. You might as well give it a good tune up as long as you're there - points, plugs, filters, fluids, belts ect. There's a lot to be said for periodic maintenance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom