Shaun Whale's "best landcruiser ever built" on an 80 chassis (1 Viewer)

What is the "Greatest Landcruiser Ever Built?"

• Shaun Whale's Dirty 30 MK2

Votes: 23 69.7%
  • Joe Rogan's 80 Series buile

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Other (leave comment)

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • @soenke build (post #9)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I enjoy the 4wd action videos and just saw the following for the first time. Of note in my opinion is that Shaun chose an 80 chassis as the basis for his build which I agree is the best choice ;)

Skip to 3:45 for the 80 chassis bit:

I would argue that this is the best Land Cruiser ever built.

I spoke with Jonathan about rebuilding my 80 to this spec or close. I believe it cost more than my house and lead time was longer than it takes to build a house. I'm still saving though, it's definitely the best 80 out there.

ShaunO stuff is great but the Rogan 80 is better for daily imo

Rather have 4 doors instead of 2. More practical for me. Plus LS power is hard to beat.

The second you put a non-Toyota heart (engine) into a Land Cruiser, it stops being a Land Cruiser, IMHO.
Im also of opinion that the owner has to do majority of the build himself, instead of just writing a blank check to someone to build it for him. So these two things disqualify his "Land Cruiser" from any conversations about "best ever" ( I would be surprised if Joe Rogan knew how to check oil on his rig..)

Here's a cool one from Russia (not fully done yet):

-1VD swap. Aussies said it couldn't be done...
-Complete dash and and most electrical systems swapped from VDJ200
- Huge ceramic brakes from a Euro spec Audi Q7 (as in ceramic rotors.. not pads)
- Touch screen from a Tesla integrated into the 200-series dash to control everything (including things like 4-zone climate control)
- Seats and door panels from some luxury German sedan.

Last edited:
Neither of the 2 above come close to the build by @soenke in my opinion - Custom built 40 body, 80 chassi, diesel with an impressive camper that has lines/asthetics that actually work. https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/travelling-cruisers.245430/. Clearly not meant to be a daily driver but for a purpose built rig it has to be one of the top contenders.

@cahill

Nice addition, that is an amazing build!

I'm sure most of us agree that there is no single "best landcruiser ever" as there is no single standard or purpose to use all landcruisers for but it's really fun to see these builds that require so many resources and inspiration to pull off.

Neither of the 2 above come close to the build by @soenke in my opinion - Custom built 40 body, 80 chassi, diesel with an impressive camper that has lines/asthetics that actually work. https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/travelling-cruisers.245430/. Clearly not meant to be a daily driver but for a purpose built rig it has to be one of the top contenders.

What an awesome truck. It makes me sad that one of the latest posts by the guy was that he can't travel anymore and has sold/is selling it...

Here's a cool one from Russia (not fully done yet):

-1VD swap. Aussies said it couldn't be done...
-Complete dash and and most electrical systems swapped from VDJ200
- Huge ceramic brakes from a Euro spec Audi Q7 (as in ceramic rotors.. not pads)
- Touch screen from a Tesla integrated into the 200-series dash to control everything (including things like 4-zone climate control)
- Seats and door panels from some luxury German sedan.

Minor detail, its chinese made "tesla-style" headunit, not nearly as nice but impressive in a swap.

When I was looking for an off road vehicle to take myself and my family on adventures, I considered the International Scout and the old Ford Broncos. I decided we needed 4 doors and scratched those off my list. I also decided I wanted to make it back, so I scratched the Jeep (fill in the blank) off my list.
Because I need four doors, Shauno's truck is not what I would want for my family at this time. It is, however, a love letter to the Land Cruiser in every aspect. You can tell how much he appreciates and admires Toyota engineering and reliability. He didn't just want a FrankenTruck, he wanted a custom Land Cruiser.
IMHO, Shauno's build is far superior to Joe Rogan's. What is custom about Joe Rogan's truck? TLC redid the whole thing, put in an LS motor and some silly seats which are too wide and don't even have armrests. So, it's not any more capable than most of the rigs owned by others on this site, it's got a sweet motor (I concede that), and it's going to last another 40 years - especially given that he's probably hardly ever going to drive it and it's going to be in a climate controlled garage. That's cool, it really is, but it's nowhere near the engineering feat that Shauno's truck is, and Shauno is going to beat the hell out of his truck and we'll all get to watch him dissect what decisions he made right and wrong.
Shauno FTW, it's not close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom