Shaky Mirrors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It’s personal preference, but I hate the convex mirror on my hard doors. Maybe my vision isn’t what it used to be, but it can’t see anything in those convex mirrors. I switched to rectangular flat mirrors. There is a light vibration, but without doors I just reach out and touch it if I need to see in more detail. My arms are homemade and I think they are much of the source of the vibration. I have been meaning to try a dampener in between the mounting points, but honestly it’s not that high on my list.
Yeah I’ve been meaning to figure this problem out for the past 4 years haha. Just decided to start working on the thing again so I’d figure I would sort that out while I do some other upgrades.

Keep in Mind: 90% of the time the rattling occurs where the mirror attaches to the arm. Not where the arm attaches to the truck. - (Oh and 10% of that statement might not be true) ^_^
Here's what I did:
If they are Spector mirrors there are screws on the back of the mirror. One of these screws will tighten the mirror housing around the swivel ball - which allows the mirror to rotate for fine tuning. Adjust your mirror and tighten that screw - but not too much, for you may crack your mirror.
One thing I was considering (if this didn't work) was too squirt in some super glue of resin and adjust the mirror QUICKLY. Luckily I didn't have to do this ~ yet :)
This isn’t an ideal picture but you can see how I have them mounted currently. I realize that these aren’t the original mirrors since my ‘69 would’ve had round mirrors. That’s why I also asked if my mirrors are just crap?View attachment 2332426
Keep in Mind: 90% of the time the rattling occurs where the mirror attaches to the arm. Not where the arm attaches to the truck. - (Oh and 10% of that statement might not be true) ^_^
Here's what I did:
If they are Spector mirrors there are screws on the back of the mirror. One of these screws will tighten the mirror housing around the swivel ball - which allows the mirror to rotate for fine tuning. Adjust your mirror and tighten that screw - but not too much, for you may crack your mirror.
One thing I was considering (if this didn't work) was too squirt in some super glue of resin and adjust the mirror QUICKLY. Luckily I didn't have to do this ~ yet :)

I think I actually tried that glue idea a few years back to no avail haha. I have the new mirrors coming this week so we’ll see how that goes.

Update: got the mirrors installed and wow what a difference! I got the 5 inch one because it looks like it’s a bit closer to the original mirrors rather than the 6 inch. I’m not huge on the convex but it does leave you with almost no blind spot. And no vibrations at all even up to about 45! Could see clear as day! Thanks @JohnnyC for the idea!
FADFA171-4A9F-4C12-9665-7CBA23DA8D21.jpeg
093B0C07-ECB4-4B37-8148-EB476FAA8E4D.jpeg

I recently came across this mirror off of a 71 FJ40. I really like it and think it will not vibrate or move at all. It seems to be real solid. I don't know if these were OEM or some aftermarket. I wish head had 2 of them . I am still looking for another to match.

IMG_2740.JPG

IMG_2741.JPG

IMG_2739.JPG

A Landcruiser might be able to hit 65 mph towing a trailer (on flat land) if it has a V8.

Running down I-70 to Moab a few years ago, I was holding 70 at times with about 1900 pounds of tent trailer in tow with a 73 FJ40 and the 1F engine. Any grade was a different story. When I hit the Utah state line though the speed limit goes up to 80 as I recall. I was holding with traffic pretty good in Colorado, but when I got there I knew I couldn't pretend to stay up anymore.

As for mirrors, I'm running some that have long arms on a rotating base that can swing in and out. They are sold for tractors. I like them, large convex heads, but they shake some due to the construction of the pivot point, convex makes up for it a bit. My factory arms with rectangular cheap auto store mirrors shook too. They are little large, but visibility is good, I can see everything behind me. Can swing them way out and look like a Dodge.

1027142004.jpg

1023142020.jpg

I don't know if these were OEM or some aftermarket. I wish head had 2 of them . I am still looking for another to match.

View attachment 2336391

View attachment 2336392

Not oem from your 71’... oem from something else

Looks like a vw mirror ... not sure... definitely has the 50-60’s look to it

The black base does not go with the mirror ... that was added to make the mirror work

It kinda looks like an alternator base mount ... but... I would think it’s 100% PO made

@Ronthebiker

Maybe you know maybe not... with larger tires your speedo is off ... my 33’s put my speedo at 55 when my actual speed is 65

Pushing to 75 actual mph I would not recommend... but... it will do it in a spurt to get past granny before the 18wheeler rides your :censor:

@Ronthebiker

Maybe you know maybe not... with larger tires your speedo is off ... my 33’s put my speedo at 55 when my actual speed is 65

Pushing to 75 actual mph I would not recommend... but... it will do it in a spurt to get past granny before the 18wheeler rides your :censor:
Speedo is calibrated to 28" tires, so 55*33/28=64.8. With 35s it's easier to figure it's x1.25.

I run 31’s and mines always like exactly 10 mph fast. I also used to know what my highway speed was by the RPM’s but if I recall when I did that lake bed run I was more concerned with keeping it in a straight line and not hitting random bumps in the middle of the desert haha. I just know it was closer to 3k when highway speed for me is about 2500 rpms and I think she started to smoke a tad bit so I backed off lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom