Shakey mirror fix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

landtank

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
landtankproducts.com
I've had my share of shakey mirrors and wanted to take a stab at fixing my current driver's side door mirror.

Basically I cleaned the broken area with a file to rough up the surface

using some SBS (card stock) I taped together a form

Using Locktite EZ epoxy I overfilled the form and allowed it to cure for the full 24 hours

I then used a Dremel tool to shape, smooth and cut the hole.

When done I dig grab onto the repair and wrench on it pretty good, it feels solid enough.

A couple of things to be aware of if you try this yourself.

1, the outer side tab has to fit in a relief of sorts so try and exactly recreate the outer edge of the new ear.

2. the thickness of the repaired area is going to be thicker than the original do tothe fact there was a recess on the back side of the ear from the factory and it's now filled in.

3. Because of the extra thickness you will need to cut a slope on the back side for the hook.

4. pay attention to the height of the hole. When installing the mirror after the repair, if the hole is cut short you will stress the repair when you fully tighten the mounting screw.

Mine seems rock solid and I'll report back if it fails.
molded.jpg
cut.jpg
releaved.jpg

Last edited:
Nice!

I need to do this as well...

I did a similar repair about 2 years back only I drilled 2 holes each through the broken tab and into the frame where the tab would eventually attach to. I forced a piece of copper wire (only thing I had ) through the tab into the frame like a mini rebar. Did the epoxy thing like @landtank And it's been solid every since.

@landtank hows this holding up?
So it's been about 4 and a half years and my drivers side mirror assembly broke from impact to the pivot area. The result was an assembly that would rotate at will and it made the mirror useless.

Bought a junk yard mirror assembly, painted the mount to match my truck and installed it. However the mirror in the junk yard assembly had 2 broken tabs so I transferred the one I fixed in this thread and I'm good to go.

I'll give the junk yard mirror the same treatment and keep it for a spare, but at this point I'm not sure I'll need it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom