1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

shakle reversal?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by hemiflight, Mar 28, 2004.

1. hemiflight

hemiflight

Hey everybody this is great, a forum for all of us cruiser lovers
    I am a week or two away from installing more upgrades
    and I cant find the right reversal kit.I'velooked at a man-a-fre
    kit that looks promising but there are so many ways to go
    about this.It is for my 55 and going to be bolted to my somewhat new springs. Has anyone seen the kit with a crossbar welded between the two front spring hangers?
    I would appreciate any advice on this subject even if you
    dont agree with doing this to the cruiser. thanks

2. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

My advice would be to skip it if you are going to use a bolt on kit. It doesn't accomplish much other than adding about 2 inches of lift.

3. haystax

haystax

Get a Butch Built kit, weld it on, make a new bumper out of something heavy, bolt the bumper on. Find a holesaw and some pipe, drill through frame, weld more, bolt on shackles. Drive away. Good stuff on this in tech section, that's where I started.

4. Lucy_FJ55

Lucy_FJ55

I have not seen the kit with a crossbar between the hangers...

but I did have the man-a-fre kit installed on my '70 PIG (along with a bunch of suspension upgrades at the time) and my cruiser had been reborn. It is hard for me to tell however what did exactly what but in hindsight it seems worth it to combine with the other mods you mentioned. ???

5. RHINO

RHINO

i havent seen the one with the crossbar, i can see it adding a bit of ridgidness to the kit though. all the bolt-on kits will give you a small lift 1-1/2,2" and some big 'ol rock catchers up front. the good way to do the SR involves fabbing and welding which you may or may not be able to do.
    i dont really see much need for a SR unless you have springs with alot of arch, otherwise the axle doesnt move back and forth enough to render much of a handling benefit.
    i dont know what the "right" kit is to you, but the differences in bolt-ons is minimal from all i've seen

6. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    There is no way that I would operate a Land Cruiser with a bolt on spring hanger on public roads, as there is no way that this is going to stay secure...and will create far more poor handleing issues than it was ever designed to remedy...

To do any spring hanger or other frame/steering/etc. modifications welding is mandatory...not optional.

Good luck!

-Steve

7. Isotel

Isotel

Media:
    Albums:
    Front, unfinished

8. Isotel

Isotel

Media:
    Albums:
    Mine consists of the stock hangers reversed and welded into place, the front rests under the frame/bumper witch is also welded in place.. works great and was free!

9. haystax

haystax

Those pics are what I was talking about, I'll stick to welding and let someone with all this new fangled techonology everyone is talking about post pics. Digital age blah,blah,blah. Good job though, isotel, that's the way to do it and the best part is you already own all the parts!

10. hemiflight

hemiflight

Hey thanks for the help everybody,Good to here some ideas.Dont worry the kit will be bolted, then welded, then tested next week in the mountains. Thanks again you all saved me a lot of time. matt
    cruiseoregon

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">