shaking at high speed....sometimes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got my 94 cruiser back from a local shop after having a full tune up, knuckles serviced, rotors rotated and pads replaced -- the truck now runs great and has noticeably more power than before, HOWEVER, something really strange has happened to me twice since i got it back. Both times I've been driving on the hwy for 10-15 minutes at around 70 mph smooth as can be, and then suddenly the truck start to shake a little, like it's tires aren't balanced. This grows progressivley worse until it's almost violently shaking, at which time i quickly get in the right lane and slow down to about 45 mph and the shaking subsides. After cruising at a lower speed for a few minutes, I'll take it back up to 70 mph and it feels ok again. Any idea what this could be caused by? I'm going to follow up with the shop to see if they have any ideas, but thought i would also ask here.

Thanks!
-mike

If this also includes the steering wheel, you need to check the wheel bearing and the knuckles to make sure all is OK. It sounds like something is loose. Lug nuts could also be loose. I would not drive it much until it is looked at, your life or your loved ones may be in danger. later robbie

Hopefully it is just the unbalanced tires. Not sure if a loose bearing would cause this but definitely check. I also suggest you check all the bushings: Coontrol Arms, Pan Hard Rods. And all the tire rod ends. Does it wander around at a low speed? Does the shaking starts while you are going up/down hill? Sometimes sagging suspension will cause shake as well as lift because of the pinion angle. Check the Alignment as well.

Maybe this is too obvious but the only time i have gotten violent shaking like you speak of was when three of my lugs were loose.
I do have some highway shimmy issues but believe it to be a combo of poor tire balance, 260k miles old tie rods, and badly warped front rotors.

I would check the lugs, also maybe its possible they screwed something up during the knuckle service. wheel bearings?

Grab the top of your front tire and see if you can move it by pulling and pushing (back and forth). It might take some effort to do. Is there much, if any play?

Who did the work on your rig?

Did you ever figure this out Mike? Does anyone else have any additional input? Mine just started doing the exact same thing. I've checked the lug nuts and the wheels for play and all seems fine. It seems like it's coming from a back wheel or wheels. I also think I heard a clunking from the rear as I backed out of my driveway this monring. Yesterday it happened at a lower speed and would not go away for about a mile. It feels like a loose wheel, binding rear, or severly lopsided tire. I did change the diff fluid a few months ago. I used mobile 1 75/90. I will check the level tonight when I get home. I'd really like to get this resolved.

Thanks.

Mike

I have just had new tyres fitted on the front, and now i notice when braking the steering wheel wobbling/shaking back and forth, and sometimes it worse sometimes not to bad, I would suspect mine is wheel bearing issues, but as soon as the weather is not to wet here in the UK, i will have another look, last time i looked at the bearings , they were ok visually but a bit loose and also noticed that the back washer had a deep groove worn into it where the inner of the bearing had rubbed, I have new washers to put on, and will do them this weekend, weather permitting.

snowwolf- possible it's warped rotors?

snowwolf said:
I have just had new tyres fitted on the front, and now i notice when braking the steering wheel wobbling/shaking back and forth, and sometimes it worse sometimes not to bad, I would suspect mine is wheel bearing issues, but as soon as the weather is not to wet here in the UK, i will have another look, last time i looked at the bearings , they were ok visually but a bit loose and also noticed that the back washer had a deep groove worn into it where the inner of the bearing had rubbed, I have new washers to put on, and will do them this weekend, weather permitting.

Sounds like you got warped rotors. Recomend having them re-surfaced and cleaning the pads(or replacing depending on thickness).

Mike

What was the result on this??

DougM

All the rotors are new, changed them 6 months ago, had recently had a problem with the bell crank seizing on one wheel and warped the new disc, so fixed that problem last week with fitting a new rotor, which cured the pulsing brake pedal but have the steering wheel wobble now, sometimes you only have to litely touch the brakes and you get quite a bad wobble, it really feels like it's coming from the front end

I just fixed my problem!! I crawled under the car in the snow to check my diff fluid level. I was thinking that maybe my seals were bad and the fluid leaked into my wheel bearings. Pulled the fill plug and nice clean oil started dripping out, so that was good. I then glanced over and noticed my bell cranks were all the way out!! The other day when I had this problem at low speed I had just picked up my car from valet parking. The attendant must have yanked my brake up really far somewhere along the 10 yards he drove. I just whacked the bell cranks back in and my funny noises, and hopefully high speed shakes, are gone.

Poo? Result? Anyone hear of a fiery Cruiser rollover in Atlanta?? (kidding, hope it was resolved, but curious).

DougM

Poo check. You there?

I've had bad death wobble on my 40 from outta balance 36" tsl's, but, never on my 80. At least not like yuo describe.

Listen to Robbie. You've gotta have something loose. Wouldn't be the 1st time a shop has screwed something up.

this thread is really old, but i'm havin a similar problem

shakes crazy on the highway, and the power steering is bein kinda funny.

I checked lug nuts and tire pressure, but im about to go work on it. any suggestions???

need more info. Does it shake when you apply brake, and what speed?

Tires balanced, rotor warp?

I just fixed my problem!! I crawled under the car in the snow to check my diff fluid level. I was thinking that maybe my seals were bad and the fluid leaked into my wheel bearings. Pulled the fill plug and nice clean oil started dripping out, so that was good. I then glanced over and noticed my bell cranks were all the way out!! The other day when I had this problem at low speed I had just picked up my car from valet parking. The attendant must have yanked my brake up really far somewhere along the 10 yards he drove. I just whacked the bell cranks back in and my funny noises, and hopefully high speed shakes, are gone.

happened to me too... got the shakes... you should be fine. if not, search for landtank's front end trouble shooting guide in the faq...

Mine gets really screwy when I drive at 70MPH when I haven't in a while.

Almost feels like a misfire. Then after driving that speed for a little bit, it stops completely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom