Shakedown Run- H55 5spd, 40gal Brown Davis tank, and more (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Forerunner post up your RPM numbers at highway speeds with the 5 speed + tire size, etc

Need to drive it some more and pay attention to that. My initial observation was 75mph (GPS) in 5th at ~2400rpm.

Tire size is 285/70/17 Toyo Open Country R/T

In case anyone is curious about full wet GVW with the added 40gal tank.

She tips the scales at 5720lbs.

Might need to get a brake upgrade now!... Definitely needs a power upgrade, but that’s all 60’s.

35B70798-2B86-4A2B-BA25-1AF088E85A02.jpeg

FWIW, a full regular tank of gas should weigh about 125-130 lbs. The 40 gallon tank full should weigh about 250 lbs.
The difference is like having an extra 120ish lb kid or gal in your truck. ...and gasoline is a continuously diminishing weight.
Having a huge gas tank seems like a lot of extra weight to add to a vehicle, but we never seem to think about having an extra (smallish) person aboard as “weight”.

Just a fun observation while enjoying my Saturday beers. 🍺

ok nevermind - I found them from 3rd party dealers... thought I was looking at an official website but I guess not

Dobinson USA - Drawers

If I recall correctly, this is the one I ordered. I got the universal wing kit that was cut down to fit my 60.

Went in for the 500 mile re-torque. Had to replace the clutch master cylinder, and add a leaf in the Ole Man EMU HD rears. It sits much better over the rear tires now.

Cleaned up and ready to find another trail!

9411A1FA-7D41-4F6E-A800-7FF704CD0DED.jpeg

2F12FA63-902A-44B3-974E-8EDF07ED9929.jpeg

@Forerunner Tell me more about the “SolarScreens” sounds like window shades possibly?

Good to hear feedback about the seats. I’m also 6’5” and will eventually replace my stock ones. Did you use the Corbeau seat brackets or have your own made? The seats look like they sit kinda low.

@Forerunner Tell me more about the “SolarScreens” sounds like window shades possibly?

Good to hear feedback about the seats. I’m also 6’5” and will eventually replace my stock ones. Did you use the Corbeau seat brackets or have your own made? The seats look like they sit kinda low.

They are insulated window screens. They are quilted like a down jacket and mount to the window via suction cups.

Absolutely love the Corbeau seats. I believe the shop used the bracket supplied by Corbeau. I don’t know that they seat any lower than the factory seat, but for anyone over 6” it’s going to be more comfortable for long drives.

Great looking truck! I want to build mine up the same way.

What leaf springs and shocks are you running?

Running a full Old Man EMU kit. Shocks, Springs, steering dampener, etc.

I am running the HD set WITH and additional add a leaf in the rear. With larger tires, drawer system, 40gal tank, and armor; the rear is supporting a pretty decent static load.

Rides fantastic!

Running a full Old Man EMU kit. Shocks, Springs, steering dampener, etc.

I am running the HD set WITH and additional add a leaf in the rear. With larger tires, drawer system, 40gal tank, and armor; the rear is supporting a pretty decent static load.

Rides fantastic!
Stephen I've got a guy who may be interested in your stock tank (I know you said it's rusty inside), but we're going to take it to a local shop and have it stripped and gone through. His stock 60 tank has rust too and it'd be nice to get yours squared away first, so we don't have to drop his and then take it to a shop etc (less down time). Let me know if you still have it.

Also, do you have a link to the insulated window screens?

Stephen I've got a guy who may be interested in your stock tank (I know you said it's rusty inside), but we're going to take it to a local shop and have it stripped and gone through. His stock 60 tank has rust too and it'd be nice to get yours squared away first, so we don't have to drop his and then take it to a shop etc (less down time). Let me know if you still have it.

Also, do you have a link to the insulated window screens?

Eh- the tank might be a goner. I’ve got the OE wheels, seats, distributor, and 4spd at my house.... and those parts need to find a home soon so I can park the 60 in the garage!

I posted a link to the AU solar screen website a few posts back in this thread. They do not have a US URL.

Just got my 60 back and did quite a few changes. I took it to the shop after limping back from Cruiser Crawl in Hot Springs, AR. The diagnosis was rust in the gas tank and a leaking rear main seal.

That put us on the path towards a new H55 5spd, address the rear main seal, and install a new Brown Davis 40gal tank.

Other items addressed were: Man-a-Fre pulley to replace the smog pump, new belts, new oil pan (OEM showed significant damage once it was on the lift), new DUI distributor, wires and plugs, added Baja Designs rock lights and roof mounted flood lights, new SCS Stealth wheels and Toyo Open Country R/T (33”), Alu-Cab fridge tilt slide, Dometic 50qt fridge/freezer, Wits End slinky power cord, Dometic PLB40 battery hidden under the wing of my drawer system, SolarScreens from Australia (actually one of my favorite additions), new Corbeu touring seats, and an sPod controller to clean up the wiring.

Rode the GA traverse over two days with @booradley & @Bama4door . The 60 ran absolutely flawlessly! The new H55 is a game changer on the highway and on the trail (1st gear is crazy low).

Glad to have her back in service!

View attachment 2348854
View attachment 2348857
Good looking. Where did you get your h55?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom