Shakedown run attempt #2, before it's too bloody hot! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cdaniel

Undocumented Mechanic-I Am Not CDAN
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
zot-art.com
My FJ40 rehab project is up and running, but still has yet to be truly tested for one of it's intended purposes. Rocks!

Looking for some company for an early day in the Box Canyon area, playing around on whatever. Likely Ajax or Woodpecker.

Propose to go on either Sat 4/26 or Sun 4/27 depending on potential interested availability.

Would meet early, say 7 or 8 am at the US60 entrance to the area. Fool around for a few hours and bail out by noon time.

So anyone in? :steer:

My FJ40 rehab project is up and running, but still has yet to be truly tested for one of it's intended purposes. Rocks!

Looking for some company for an early day in the Box Canyon area, playing around on whatever. Likely Ajax or Woodpecker.

Propose to go on either Sat 4/26 or Sun 4/27 depending on potential interested availability.

Would meet early, say 7 or 8 am at the US60 entrance to the area. Fool around for a few hours and bail out by noon time.

Can't go, but thought I would see if you know that the gate at the LEN Ranch on Cottonwood Canyon is locked. There is a bypass to the south, but the BLM has not made it out there to mark the route yet. Should not be a problem if you are using Mineral Mtn Road on the US 60 to enter the area from the north. John

Okay I found a buddy to keep me company and its on. Sunday 4/27 for anyone not doing the ROTM expedition, something a little closer.

We will meet 7:30 AM at the fuel depot near US 60 and Idaho Rd. Leave by 8. Head into the Bulldog Canyon area to explore something called Willow Springs. Permits required can be had online from the Tonto ranger district.

Hey to who ever pinned and facebooked this, thanks! Though on the facebook event it says Box Canyon.

Bulldog Canyon and Willow Springs is the final destination...

Sorry about that, I copied it from your first post. It is corrected now.

Hey to who ever pinned and facebooked this, thanks! Though on the facebook event it says Box Canyon.

Bulldog Canyon and Willow Springs is the final destination...

Willow Springs area is a popular equestrian area, but there is some good wheeling there too. If you follow the "signed" trail, it leads up the north side of the canyon and more less ends at a cattle tank. If you were to stay in the bottom of the drainage you will probably find more than adequate amounts of entertaining terrain. John

Still on. Will monitor cb channel 14 for possible stragglers.

Okay I found a buddy to keep me company and its on. Sunday 4/27 for anyone not doing the ROTM expedition, something a little closer.

We will meet 7:30 AM at the fuel depot near US 60 and Idaho Rd. Leave by 8. Head into the Bulldog Canyon area to explore something called Willow Springs. Permits required can be had online from the Tonto ranger district.

Shake down run a success. The trail didn't disappoint for rocks, and scenery. A little more than I bargained for at times. Found we need a little more bump stop in front. Power steering did much better than last time. Nice day for wheelin.

Obligatory poser shots

poser1.jpg
poser2.jpg

And now for the carnage shots:

Probably time for some tube fenders :doh: Left side took a good hit. A little tweak of the front bumper. Cooler rack and the cooler suffered a little too.

dents1.jpg
dents3.jpg
dents4.jpg
dents2.jpg

man, you're upping the mangling game :eek:

No more lift for me. It's quite tall enough already.

Maybe you need some 37" tires or possibly larger. I am sure Claudia and I would have popped our running boards in the same situation.

Does your band play the song "Smashing a Perfectly Good Guitar Cruiser" ?
You just did a masterful rebuild, it needs to last at least one oil change er....tank of gas.......or not.
Good luck with the repairs.

Maybe you need some 37" tires or possibly larger. I am sure Claudia and I would have popped our running boards in the same situation.

I think Claudia has some uber boards now. Might have helped on the driver side in this case, but probably not. Not much can stop the mangle when a tire slips off the edge of a notch for a several inch drop into the jaws of rock. Right between the tire and tub too. 37s would have added another inch to the drop.

Does your band play the song "Smashing a Perfectly Good Guitar Cruiser" ?
You just did a masterful rebuild, it needs to last at least one oil change er....tank of gas.......or not.
Good luck with the repairs.

Rock Candy? Rock this town maybe?

The crumple hurts a bit, but it's the price of admission to fooling around in rock gardens. The bright side is that the tub corner escaped unscathed when the cooler rack took its hit :D. The rack can be banged back into shape. Or replaced because I made it a bolt on for just such a damage situation. Or if the cooler needs replaced with a different size.

And now for the carnage shots:

Probably time for some tube fenders :doh: Left side took a good hit. A little tweak of the front bumper. Cooler rack and the cooler suffered a little too.

40 tube fenders are cool!

IIRC you have a back up rack :meh:

40 tube fenders are cool!

IIRC you have a back up rack :meh:
No need to deploy the backup. Just need to un tweak the bolt on basket. The cooler may be done though. knocked the hinges and a handle off.

Or, you can just avoid the rocks in the first place... save the cash for important things like beer !!! :cheers:

Rock climbing: no matter where you go there will always be a rock one inch larger than your rig can climb; and probably a few much larger than that.

I think Claudia has some uber boards now. Might have helped on the driver side in this case, but probably not. Not much can stop the mangle when a tire slips off the edge of a notch for a several inch drop into the jaws of rock. Right between the tire and tub too. 37s would have added another inch to the drop.

that's exactly how I so badly mangled my passenger running board (and fender): huge unseen bolder that the front passenger tire managed to climb and then abruptly fall off of :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom