Shake down (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.shopraddcruisers.ca
Well the 1977 FJ45 had a nice run from Vancouver to Whistler, overall it performed very well.

The 1HZ, H55, splitcase, 3:70 and 33s are capable of cruising at 65MPH, until you hit altitude then the diesel starts to suffer.

Some of the longer hills I was struggling to climb them in fourth. This should not be a problem for my customer who lives in the Boston area.

PTO works great, power steering even better, four wheel disc brakes are far better than the original drums. Might have to put a valve to the rear brakes and reduce the pressure, under extreme hard braking we had some rear wheel lock up.

Rear brakes were made from knuckles as described in the mud tech forum, we used the mini truck brakes as we had a set kicking around.

MAFs splitcase ebrake kit, factory unit with drum brake, looks and installs very well.

The parabolics acompanied by four RS 9000 adjustable shocks make for the best ride I have ever expierenced in a FJ, the longer 45 wheel base is also a bonus for ride comfort.

Only problem we are encountering is the issue of temperature rise quickly on climbs, I did not like how much it fluctuates.

We used a large electrical fan as the engine sits to low in the frame to accomidate the factory mechanical fan.

We will try a four core radiator and build a shroude for the electric fan.

Our list on the 45 is getting shorter, possibly a turbo next, maybe a air to water self contained intercooler(KOOOOOL). Also on the list is a soft canopy like the one on Marvs site, I really think that would be the finishing touch.

Rob

Last edited:
PTO? Where did you find all the bits for a PTO on a splitcase?

Sweet!!

This thread is useless without pics :D

Matt

Owyhee Jackass said:
PTO? Where did you find all the bits for a PTO on a splitcase?

The guys at G&S set me up with the shafts, pillow block bearings. Real simple install, just shortened one shaft.

Think it came off a 7 series from Japan.

Pics a comming, going to take it up a back road and show some poser shots later today.

Rob

Poser shots
DSC00959.JPG
DSC00960.JPG
DSC00963.JPG

Poser 2
DSC00957.JPG
DSC00961.JPG
DSC00965.JPG

1hz
DSC00968.JPG

where'd the rear caliper brackets come from, Wayne?

Steve

theSherpa said:
where'd the rear caliper brackets come from, Wayne?

Steve

Front knuckles off a 60 series, cut the ears off and bolt on, sweet.

aaaahhhhhh! heard of it, haven't seen an example until now. I like it.

thanks!

Where's the turbo?...:rolleyes:

cruiserdan said:
Where's the turbo?...:rolleyes:

On the short list Dan, should be a blast to drive once its in.

If the intercooler happens its will just plain rock.

Been driving it dailey, turns many heads and always waved over to talk about it. All in all real fun to drive.

Hope to see mid 20s with fuel economey.

Rob

Radd Cruisers said:
Front knuckles off a 60 series, cut the ears off and bolt on, sweet.

Thats what I ran on the FJ40 I had that got stolen. It only works on pre 1979 fullfloaters, when the splindle looked like the front disc spindles.

As for dialing down the rears, might be better with the long wheelbase, but I still had real sensitive rear braking in the FJ40 even with a prop. valve....

Brett, I can honestly say the brakes work fine under heavey braking on dry roads, as soon as you nearly lock it up they then grab.

Guess the long wheel base helps????

I like to do things right, the idea of using a four wheel disc brake master off a Supra might be a better way to solve this problem?

Rob

cruiserbrett said:
Thats what I ran on the FJ40 I had that got stolen. It only works on pre 1979 fullfloaters, when the splindle looked like the front disc spindles.

As for dialing down the rears, might be better with the long wheelbase, but I still had real sensitive rear braking in the FJ40 even with a prop. valve....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom