1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

shaft removal with E-Locker

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by doughboy, Mar 5, 2007.

1. doughboy

doughboy

Did search but did not find a clear answer.

Can I remove one half shaft with out the Locker locked? I'm tring to replace a birfield but my locker is disabled Also, can anybody tell me which side of the star and cage face out?

Thanks,
    Angelo

2. RavenTai

RavenTai

Long side does not matter, short side you can pull it without locking but the locking collar can fall down making reassembly very difficult.

you can remove the actuator and lock it by hand, exactly how it is done depends on if it is front or rear

as for birf reassembly see the last pic in post # 73 of the birf FAQ it shows the orientation of both the cage and star.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=78276

3. DanKunz

DanKunz SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    disabled? could you lock it manually with the 9V battery on the actuator or is the actuator not firing?

4. doughboy

doughboy

So the long side doesn't matter if it is locked or unlocked? just double checking. I didn't know you could do it by hand and I'll have to try this.

thanks for the link to the picture thats what I needed.

The actuator is firing. I don't have the rear axle with the E-locker installed yet so I never pluged in the front E-locker or the computer to control the lockers.

thanks
    Angelo

5. Tools R Us

Tools R Us

The front doesn't need to be locked, the rear needs be locked to remove/replace the short side.

6. justdifferentials

justdifferentials Gear & Axle parts for ALL Toyotas new or old... Supporting Vendor

Media:
    agreed

Agreed, the front locker allows the either axle to be removed w/o the coupler falling. The rear locker however, can fall and becomes difficult to realign.

7. doughboy

doughboy

Thanks guys thats what I needed to know.