Shackles yes or no......... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

my experience...

When I did my SOA, I used stock springs with a little arch left in them with 2" longer than stock shackles. I run the original rears in the front and vice versa for the rear due to the weight difference of a SBC vs. a 2F. I recently changed the front shacles back to original length and it rides much more stable. I had just put on a rear tire carrier and also installed my hardtop for the winter, and it was too light in the front and had some scary steering!

The springs have leveled off quite a bit, but I still am nowhere close to rubbing my 37" MTRs. I am a tall guy, and I don't think you would want to use lifted springs for a SOA because it's a climb to get into the truck with relatively flat springs. Stability would almost certainly be a factor being that high up too. HTH. :beer:

Clint

Stability is a concern of mine too. At the least, I would go back to stock lenth shackles if needed, but only if I could get the 38" meats on. I know my rig will be too tall for me because I'm only 5'8" (not a giant lumbering beast like sandrat), but fairly athletic, so I will either Pole Vault or High Jump into my rig getting in and do Spinning High Dives getting out (lol).

Ther ya go again.....just because I'm big for my size 5' 11'' 235 w/ 19 in neck (all fat) doesn't meen I'm stooopid!:flipoff2: :beer: :beer: :beer:

You could run 37's with no lift if you wanted to. Lower is better.

If you do end up installing the springs with out shackles post pics!

If you do end up installing the springs with out shackles post pics!
I suppose you could mount one end into a track of sorts so it could slide fore and aft as necessary depending upon static length of the spring as it bends and straightens...:idea:

I suppose you could mount one end into a track of sorts so it could slide fore and aft as necessary depending upon static length of the spring as it bends and straightens...:idea:

common practice for circle track racers and the like...

there was a picture posted awhile ago of a land cruiser that had had some installed.

Talked to mechanic tonight, and misunderstood him. He wants to do a shackle reversal in the front and not a shackle "removal". When we spoke yesterday, we had a bad cell connection. I did however gain some valuable knowledge.

M

Talked to mechanic tonight, and misunderstood him. He wants to do a shackle reversal in the front and not a shackle "removal". When we spoke yesterday, we had a bad cell connection. I did however gain some valuable knowledge.

M

the shortest shackle you can get is best. the stock shackles are perfect. a smaller shackle with a the stock springs ro even lift springs ride very nice and are alto more stable.

shackle reversals ride even better and are the most stable.

I'm SOA stock 40 fronts and 55 rears in the rear. I have not done a shackle reversal and the only advantage I can see personally is approach angle is a little better and your shackle is out of the way of the rocks but other than that I see no real advantages. I know one guy who has a shackle reversal and he actually said he thought it rode better before the SR but just remember everyone will feel differently about stuff like that so take my words with a grain err whole block of salt

yup, soa with stock springs is the way to go. that way the rig will ride nicely, not too stiff. i run soa with stock fronts and 55 rears. shacklre reversal in the front, my own hd shackles in the rear.
try to stay away from lift springs with the soa; they get way too tall.

a sway bar or currie anti-rock bar setup would help a lot with stability issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom