Shackles Enough? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am wanting to lift my fj62, but am poor, so my thought was to buy shackles to lift it up about 1.5 - 2 inches. I am wanting to put some new 33's on it and am wondering if those will clear with that lift? I am thinking of buying the shackles from Liquidoffroad for 75$ for the whole set, should i get the greasable pins? are they worth it? With that lift height will i need any extenders ie. break lines or steering extenders? I am also looking at getting new shocks, are BDS any good, they are going for about 190$ for the set. Anyone had the Dunlop Mud Rovers? the look pretty meaty and are 137$ a piece. Any info will help, thanks.

Poor Cruiser Owner​

There are a lot of posts on lifts. Many on doing it for cheap too. Do a search. Also check the sticky FAQ.

Keep in mind that shackles only give you 1/2 the lift of their length, due to the angle. That is, to get a 2" lift w/shackels requires a shackle that's 4" longer than stock.

Long AAL's and/or body lift are your cheapest options.

There are some limits as to what width tire will work on your stock rims.

What are AAL'S? also would a shackle for a toyota pickup work i found one that is 4 in.? I know there are some stipulations but overall.

AAL's are add a leafs, I put maf long aal on my 60 with flat springs and clear 33x9.5s no problem..33x12.5's would be close but I don't think they would rub except under max stuff.

HntWhtTail said:
AAL's are add a leafs, I put maf long aal on my 60 with flat springs and clear 33x9.5s no problem..33x12.5's would be close but I don't think they would rub except under max stuff.

man a fre sells full length aal's
DO NOT PUT THE SHORTIES ON!!!!!!!!!!!!

you can do aal's cheap! no more than $150. to do both ends

So do AAL'S and shackles? That should be good i have heard not to reuse your u bolts on the springs. is that right?

Haskins1111 said:
So do AAL'S and shackles? That should be good i have heard not to reuse your u bolts on the springs. is that right?

depends, i've re-used mine.
no problems

i'm sprung over:
stock springs with aal's
and stock shackles.

personally, the aal's will be fine by themselves with 33's

other opinions may differ :D

Do you think i will need the brake line extenders or sway bar extenders? Do you?

Also why don't you like the shorty AAL'S and what is SOA.

Haskins1111 said:
Also why don't you like the shorty AAL'S and what is SOA.

shorties: to firm, not a good idea for sagging 60 springs.

SOA: this when you put your spings on top of you axles,instead of the stock location.(springs under the axle or SUA)

with a SOA set up you will get anywhere from 6-8" of lift

long aal's you can get anywhere from 1-4" of lift depending on how flat your currant springs are.
and your ride quality will be ALOT better than having the shorties in.

Just installed 2" lift springs and 1.5" longer shackles and it fits 33x12.5 if that helps at all.

Do a search in the 80 series forum also for Dunlop Mud Rovers (lot of info in there too) - I didn't see a bad review except noise which I expect on a mud terrain. Mine are in the garage right now so I can't tell you how they ride/wear but they look great! Had them on for all of 20 minutes until I identified issues with the brakes and had to go back to my 31s.

Check this thread:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=97744&highlight=budget+suspension

For those who put on the AAl'S how hard was it? any special tools?, also would wheel spacers be needed to clear the 33x12.5's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom