1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

shackle size

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by scubajohn, Feb 15, 2004.

1. scubajohn

scubajohn

Anyone know what the stock front and rear shackle length is center of hole to center of hole on a fj40 ?

how about one that is a 2" lift front and back ?

Do they make a 4" shackle lift ?

Anyone have links to pictures of roll cages for an fj40 ? preferably with dimentions :)

thanks guys

2. 72cruiser

72cruiser

pics of roll cages convienently found in the section so aptly entitled "cruiser cages" on the index page.

a shackle lift is the extension of shackles used to mount your leaf springs.

extend the shackle 2 inches, get a 1 inch lift (b/c the shackle is only at one end of the spring, and the axle is mounted approx. 1/2 way, so 2 inches at one end translates to 1 inch in the middle)

extend the shackle 4 inches, get a 2 inch lift. you get the idea.

stay within the bounds of reason on a shackle lift. there is a jeep here on campus that i straight up detest. the pos has got at least 14 inch shackles (and somehow still only runs 29s. i have no idea.) a shackle lift shouldn't be used for more than 1.5 or 2 inches imho.

good luck with it brohan, and here's a link to some on ebay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...3585&item=2459368372&sspagename=STRK:MEBWA:IT

hasta,
    malphrus

3. scubajohn

scubajohn

thanks for the great info ;) and now WHY did I not see that the auction listed the hole to hole size when I looked at it. Ya I am not looking to go more than 2 inches.

I really want to do the SOA :) but I just got the fj40 and dont want to be down for the week or 2 I know it will take to get it done. I work at a metal fab shop so have all the stuff it takes to do the SOA just no exp at it and the thought of choping and turning the axle well its just more than I want to mess with for now hehehe.

thanks again.
    Ummm anyone in Southern California that wants to trade some custom fab work for help in doing my SOA ?

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">