shackle reversal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can someone give me the scoop on shackle reversal? I've had an fj40 for about 11/2 years and would like to know the advantages to the reversal. Do only the front springs get reversed? Or do front and rear? Thanks, Matt.

yes only front springs hangers and shackles are changed. have you looked in the technical links there are some good write ups on it. jeff zepps is pretty good. dont know if there are really any benifits, i have not done it. i have heard good and bad and my rig drives fine the way it is.

Putting the front shackles to the rear, has a very clean look, that to me is its primary advantage.

I did not do this with my SOA (cut & turned) though, may rethink this over the winter depending how far on the bling side I wish to go.

you only do the front on an SR.
you're "just" moving the the fixed end of the spring to the front side. helps to take some "play" out of the steering.
there are several different ways to do it, and you should watch how you do it, as the front hangers can become effective rock finders.
they typically yield 2ish inches of lift alone(front only!!).
shacklerev.JPG

I've already got a OME 4" lift on it. Is there a particular brand that might allow me to still do the SR? I don't really want to raise it any higher.

chewy said:
I've already got a OME 4" lift on it. Is there a particular brand that might allow me to still do the SR? I don't really want to raise it any higher.

I would reconsider this, as I did a bit ago have a SR on a SUA...power steering much better use of that $.

if your keeping with SUA then leave it alone.
the SR on SUA needs a pretty big hanger up front to maintain geometry, if you were doing an SOA you could weld the perches so as to keep small (stock) hangers while maintaining proper angles on everything.
my vote is to leave it alone.

as far as advantages, they go both ways. arguments have been waged on everything from smoother ride to better approach angle. there are alot of capable rigs out there with both set-ups and nobody seems to be having problems wheelin with either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom