shackle reversal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

I am thinking about doing a shackle reversal in the front of my fj62 to level it out a bit. I really want to do a coil front but can't justify the $$ right now. Who sells a SR kit for the 60 series rigs these days, does Man-a-fre still sell them? Also, are they bolt on or weld on?

thanks!

Joel

my advice, don't go half way. I spend some money and energy rebuilding my stock shackle pins and installing new poly bushings all around. Just to replace the entire suspension about a year later. I still have the boxed up poly bushings and rebuilt toyota shackles and pins.

my advice, don't go half way. I spend some money and energy rebuilding my stock shackle pins and installing new poly bushings all around. Just to replace the entire suspension about a year later. I still have the boxed up poly bushings and rebuilt toyota shackles and pins.

That’s good advice, as my TPI/Old Man Emu suspension is about 12-15 years old. I may wait until I can do coil front and new rear leafs...

It seems that every thread where a guy bought a new-to-him 60/62 with a shackle reversal put on it (they're welded on) is asking the forum how to get rid of it and return the suspension to the stock shackle mounting set up

It seems that every thread where a guy bought a new-to-him 60/62 with a shackle reversal put on it (they're welded on) is asking the forum how to get rid of it and return the suspension to the stock shackle mounting set up
+1 to this. My truck has it and I am looking forward to getting rid of it. The spring hangers themselves are well made but they screw up the shackel angles with the stock eye-to-eye length of the springs, which gives the truck a very stiff ride.
A SR can work really well when done correctly, but you will likely need to build it yourself to get it right.

Sure I got your kit right here, just made it yesterday 🤣😂 @Tennessee80

44ECD59D-1DA9-40E4-9D11-4D270A680282.jpeg

Imho the only heavy mods to suspension worth doing at this time are a coil conversion. Yes, it is more expensive but the benefits over an SOA or shackle reversal are huge.

Imho the only heavy mods to suspension worth doing at this time are a coil conversion. Yes, it is more expensive but the benefits over an SOA or shackle reversal are huge.

lol, maybe reel back those blanket opinion statements a bit

lol, maybe reel back those blanket opinion statements a bit

lol fair, I’d never SOA my truck so take it with a grain of salt. It’s only 1 opinion.

lol fair, I’d never SOA my truck so take it with a grain of salt. It’s only 1 opinion.
that's only because you've never driven or ridden in one that's been done right.
My point is there are a lot of suspension options and none are really wrong, they just depend on what the goal is

Hey all,

I am thinking about doing a shackle reversal in the front of my fj62 to level it out a bit. I really want to do a coil front but can't justify the $$ right now. Who sells a SR kit for the 60 series rigs these days, does Man-a-fre still sell them? Also, are they bolt on or weld on?

thanks!

Joel

How much to you want to lift the front of your truck? What front shackles do you currently have?
The only company that makes a shackle reversal kit is the only company that's made shackle reversal kits, 4-Plus

Hey all,

thanks!

Joel
FWIW: I don't know that a SR will level out the front end (using the same springs); they are definitely a welding operation; having driven both on my DDs, the SR does present improved road handling.

How much to you want to lift the front of your truck? What front shackles do you currently have?
The only company that makes a shackle reversal kit is the only company that's made shackle reversal kits, 4-Plus
Hey Matt, I have extreme shackles front and rear now, and it clears the 35's just fine, but I have had conversations with Dave at 4plus about the SR, and although the subject is polarizing, there are advantages to SR. I'm not in a big rush, and may wait until I can do a Torfab coil swap using my 60 axles, down the road....?!

Hey Matt, I have extreme shackles front and rear now, and it clears the 35's just fine, but I have had conversations with Dave at 4plus about the SR, and although the subject is polarizing, there are advantages to SR. I'm not in a big rush, and may wait until I can do a Torfab coil swap using my 60 axles, down the road....?!

how much do you want to lift the front of your truck from current?
One thing I suggested to Nate @mattressking , who has a similar situation, that I'd really like to see someone try is simply modifying the spring perches on the axle housing so the axle sits closer to the leaf spring. Not a terribly difficult or complicated fabrication project. It would raise the front of the truck approx 3/4"-1" with no other changes (and be pretty much free if you can cut/weld)

how much do you want to lift the front of your truck from current?
One thing I suggested to Nate @mattressking , who has a similar situation, that I'd really like to see someone try is simply modifying the spring perches on the axle housing so the axle sits closer to the leaf spring. Not a terribly difficult or complicated fabrication project. It would raise the front of the truck approx 3/4"-1" with no other changes (and be pretty much free if you can cut/weld)
So... that sounds interesting... I can't weld, but would be interested to hear the theory/geometry behind it. Coupled with a U-Bolt flip kit that could be an interesting result

Not only would it fix your ride height issue it would also gain that same amount of ground clearance underneath the leafs/U-bolts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom