shackle reversal, new idea (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

and how is this really any different from "frenching" the shackle hanger in the frame either? its pretty much frenching the frame but without any implied force on it. (i'm talking about frenching the frame but not actually putting the hanger where the pocket would be) it would be near the "french" but not on it....

Why not just move the front spring perch forward a bit and that should drop some of the arch in the spring, you might not need to fit the spring hanger in the rear as high and thus no notch required. ??? your wheel base might slightly increase. Just a thought. I would not want to deal with cutting the frame, thats alot of work.

quick goofy sketch

Why not turn the spring pack over, so it bows up instead of down, instead of cutting the frame? You have to take the pack apart and fip each spring. A lot of older 4x4 Pre 70's were set up that way. Need to be sprungover to do it.

out of all the soas out there you seem to be the only 1 with this problem i have only done about 15 and havnt had any problems i think the shackle reversal alone will help + you mention you only have 4 springs on the front they must be heavy to suport that weight also without photos its hard to figure any how . cutting that frame like that in an area where strenght is important may not be the best idea. i did several shackle reversals back in the 70s using the stock parts removed on soas and they lowered the front however you go good luck

I also think the shackle reverssal will help. By pulling the spring hanger forward of the frame, you'll be able to run the shackle hanger higher up the frame. My frame is extended out about 2 to 2.5", and the spring hanger is out at the edge, then the shackle is 42" behind that. This will help some, probably the right amount, to lower the front of your cruiser. Beware of pulling the front spring hanger too far forward or your steering will constantly hit the frame.

Anyway, that area, right near the shackle, gets a whole lotta stress. And I really think that, even with a boxed in frame, its not a good idea. And if you boxk in the frame, youre going to have to do something about the width of the steel boxing it in so your shackle will fit around the boxed in frame. Plus, make sure youre not doing straight cuts on the steel, and instead make angled "franching" cuts on the boxing or youre going to put even more stress on the frame.
I am all for thinking outside the box. But this doesnt seem like something you should need to think outside the box to fix.

cheers-
Dustin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom