1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

shackle reversal, new idea

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by bandy rooster, Mar 4, 2007.

1. bandy rooster

bandy rooster

front springs - 4 leaves in total (stock 40 springs)
    rear springs - heep springs 6 springs in each pack

i need to drop the front a good 2.5-3" in order for the damn thing to look right and drive normally. the stock crusier springs are just way to high in the front although they have settled a tiny tiny bit over time....

i'm goin to do a shackle reversal with a low profile type hanger like proffit or ruffstuff sells... however i want the make the shackle side (usually sleeved in the frame) higher up then normal to acheive in less of a lift. i'm also going to make the springs perches have less profile and that will give me about .5"

the new idea was to actually cut out and pocket the frame because the shackle will be higher up then on a normal shackle reversal, the pocket will allow the shackle to travel normally and still have the shackle mounted further up to reduce the actual ride height ...

Does anybody understand the idea?

2. bandy rooster

bandy rooster

3. Tankota

Tankota

I see. I'd be most concerned with the "missing" part of the frame leading to frame failure. I recently saw a guy lower his rig by outboarding the springs and mounting the spring hangers and shackles even or slightly above the top of the frame with new brackets. He was a bit wider than stock ;p so no turning radius probs.

4. camcruiser13

camcruiser13

Media:
    Albums:
    will this weaken your frame?

i think the proffits kit and stock length shackels will lower you height by itself.

i think the idea will work. lots of work, but whatever you do get pics and write it up/

5. mr_manny

mr_manny

I remember seeing something similar, but it was the front end that was moved up into the frame...imagine the front hanger recessed into-the-frame.

I'll see If I can find any pics...

6. Rocinante

Rocinante

You would have to carve out a pretty deep notch, no? I think you would need to plate the remaining side metal heavily and and truss on the top of the surrounding frame area to a height >= the depth of the frame that is hacked out, and many times longer, for it to be stiff enough not to crack or bend. If you know any structural engineers I would talk to them before hacking at the frame. And make sure your life insurance is all paid up.

7. bandy rooster

bandy rooster

this idea was to use stock springs.... i was trying to avoid the hassle of using another set of springs although i could probably use my brothers fj60 springs in the front but i've never even seen that done...

i do think the shackle reversal alone would probably yeild me a bit lower but i was just going on the "extreme" side.. cause it seriously looks goofy right now

8. camcruiser13

camcruiser13

Media:
    Albums:
    when i did my sr it dropped my front 2 inches easy

9. lowtideride

lowtideride

Media:
    Albums:
    Dude, thats way to much work. I vote either swap the springs, or axle crinch it down at night when not driving. And just get some miles on them before doing any more work on it...If not im just gonna start planting some flowers around your rig and maybe add some latice for some ivy to grow up the side:D

Seriously bro I think the best Idea right now is just to get some miles on those springs....Dont worry about it looking goofy at least its not Velveeta colored :D

But, dont listen to me im just the older brother:cool:

-Al

10. bandy rooster

bandy rooster

I am going to do a shackle reversal.... i could have that done in a weekend

11. lowtideride

lowtideride

Media:
    Albums:
    You can have the flat springs out of the rear of Velveeta in two weeks when Its down for a frame/spring/hyrdo/swap. I think the front srpings will give you even more lift then you have now....but your welcome to the rears.

Might help with the shackle angle too.

12. bustanutley

bustanutley

Do it! it will work, plate both sides of the frame around the notch and cap the inside, make sure there are no sharp corners (aka stress risers). Maybe even French the front hanger to end up with a more level spring. You may end up lower in the front, then when I look at your truck I’ll get at least a half chub and lust after lowering mine. :grinpimp:

PS Jack Rice’s Truggy originally had fj60 springs in the front, check tech links.

13. Medusa

Medusa

What is your current caster angle? If you raise the rear of the spring in a SR it is going to reduce the caster. If you are currently close to the OEM value of +1 degree, it could push you out of the desired range.

14. bandy rooster

bandy rooster

i'm planning on rewelding the spring perches...

i honestly forget what my castor angle is right now.. i'll probably take the knuckle off during all this to find the castor angle...

the hangers are on order from ruff stuff ( cool guys ) and i have 1-3/8" (3/16" wall) DOM tubing for the sleeve.

15. camcruiser13

camcruiser13

Media:
    Albums:
  16. Wildman

Wildman

Yep looks good if you use a piece of pipe or something to make that radius in the frame. Then use plating on the out side of the frame. I would flex the rig first before you do it though. You may be pleasntly surprised and find that you dont need the scooped out piece missing.

17. dustin

dustin

I am confused why you would do this. Hundred (thousands??) of cruisers are SOA and cutting the frame like that is not a normal fix. Think of all the stress that is placed on that one point of the frame. I think youre in for alot of problems if you do it. My front springs are nearly completely flat, and I don't think I could go much lower without more probles with steering components hitting the frame. It sounds to me like your problem's are with the rear. Use different shackles or springs to adjust the height in the rear before you go cutting. My front shackles are just a little longer than stock fj40 front shackles.

-Dustin

18. grant5127

grant5127

Here's a similar situation that went sour...... :eek:
    rear shackle (Custom).JPG

19. Wildman

Wildman

Not realy Grant, his idea is to go THRU the frame with the shackel mount. I do see how the one in your pic failed though... kinda scary.

FYI, The way he wants to run it is VERY close to the mini truck setup.

20. bandy rooster

bandy rooster

I'm no mechanical engineer but if i did want to do this i could brace the frame enough to which i wouldn't really have to worry about this. yes i'm not sure theres a hundred thousand cruisers soa lol, but this is just another more radical idea to try to lower a rig. problems not in the rear either, its actually perfect, perfect shackle angle, smooth ride and great flex and that was from scratch and designed by me.