Shackle reversal moved my axle forward, need some new shock towers!? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.octagonmma.com
I was up at RT Customs the other day watching the Jedi master finish up my Saginaw install and we decided to try out the new plasma cutter and MIG welder on my front shackle reversal/spring flip. We're using Trail Gear's spring and shackle hangers welded to the frame front and rear for the front spring only. Rear axle stays stock. As the front hangers have moved forward about 2" from the stock location, obviously so does my front axle, thus requiring the front shocks and shock towers to move as well. Front driveshaft will need lengthening I realize.

I have seen TG's universal tube hoops, Ford's towers, and stock mounts moved/welded.

What is the cleanest/strongest solution and what road handling issues have we created by moving the front axle forward 2"?

Just trying to troubleshoot this in my mind and see what others have done. Jedi Master @ RT Customs wants to use hoops.

Basic setup is 76 FJ40 w/350ci V8 mated to stock 4spd, OME suspension and 2.5" HFS springs on 37" Krawlers.

THANKS! :hmm:

As I recall, the shock pin on the axle can be removed and reversed solving this problem. Also, make sure you gusset the passanger side frame horn above the new spring hanger. Don't ask me how I know this.

Need some pics guys! Also you trimmed the inner fenders I assume?

Reversing the pin was my first thought.....

I went with the Ford towers - cheap and fairly easy. The toughest part was getting the stockers off. I can shoot some pics tomorrow for you if you need, but these allow you much more stroke by locating them higher on the frame and up in the engine bay. The stockers don't allow a very long shock, so your downtravel may be limited, and possible result in shock damage.

:beer: R

I'm gonna just reverse the front pins until I go SOA, then redo it with hoops and all new plate on the axle.

I'm gonna just reverse the front pins until I go SOA, then redo it with hoops and all new plate on the axle.

was wondering about 37's on 2.5'' OME supsension w/ HFS springs :D

(so I take it you just got OME shocks)

as MTweller mentioned the ford towers are inexpensive and relatively easy.

Yup. HFS are HUGE enough. Shipping springs can get nasty.

As I recall, the shock pin on the stock shock tower can be removed and reversed solving this problem. Also, make sure you gusset the passanger side frame horn above the new spring hanger. Don't ask me how I know this.

works like a charm

or use some ford shock towers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom