shackle reversal advantage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good write up Mace.

I plan on a very low SR to combat my love of bashing my shackles off everything.

This is 100% true. On stock springs, with a SR, I needed a long travel shaft to prevent bottoming. I had my original shaft lengthened, tried it out, and then got the long travel kit installed. Have the long travel kit installed first and save yourself $75.

Otherwise I see few advantages to the SR except the improvement in approach angle. If I were doing another build, especially a wagon, I would leave the shackles up front where I can keep an eye on them.

Good discussion Mace, the only other thing to add would be that excellent LCML description of the stock set up by JimC. It's quoted somewhere in the tech links.

Ok this is new to me. I have been running a SR for the last 8yrs never noticed anything odd.
What should I be looking for because there is a chance I have been over looking it.
I do notice an occasional clunk, but i always associated it to the locker.
Any links for these long travel I googled it ,but got nothing. I always thought the front might be a little long.
What does it cost to shorten, lengthen or get the long travel? I just put in a rebuilt H41 and don't want to trash it.

Thanks,
B

I would like to go back to the SR question. When moving the part that makes it possible for the leaf spring to extend to the front, you radically change the performance of the suspension.
This may not be that noticably at low speeds in the terrain, but if your rig is a daily driver i might have some inpact. You aregoing down the freeway at 55mph when suddently you have to brake really hard!
The 5.000lbs of your rig is now on the front axle and at the same time everything above the axle want's to continue forward. The combination af weight and forward momentum stresses the suspension enormously! Your front axle will shift backwards and your nose drop considerably more than w/o SR, making the rig more unstable.
IMO the reason that the shackles are where they are from the factory is that they keep the axles stable. This would explain why the main braking axle, the front one, has the shackles in the rear, and why the main pushing axle, the rear, has them in front of the axle.

I might be totally wrong though... Please correct me then! :)

It make sense Christian .. off course yes ..

I believe this coul be more with flat and soft springs ..

I believe it don't happend in the old Hi Lix /Mini Truck that have solind front axle and factory shackle reversal setup.

After several years running SR in my heavy rig .. I choose SR again .. for smoth ride.

IMO the reason that the shackles are where they are from the factory is that they keep the axles stable. This would explain why the main braking axle, the front one, has the shackles in the rear, and why the main pushing axle, the rear, has them in front of the axle.

The stock 60 config has the front axle with shackles before the axle. And is Spring under stock.
The stock Mini truck has the shackles behind the front axle. And is springover stock.

There is a lot more to it than just the location of the shackles.

I have had "panic" situations with trucks with shackles in the front and in the rear. The stresses involved are not that much different..

exhibit "A"...

I had to move around a couple times to get my tire in the right spot to get my long SR bracket out of the way of the rock. I like the SR concept and believe in it but I would like to go to a lower profile bracket much like what Kavik and boots are doing and cut more sheet metal to make room for the tires. Once I get some more time to tackle a sheet metal project like that I'll be going to the lower profile SR.

Ih8thisrock.jpg

exhibit "A"...

I like the SR concept and believe in it but I would like to go to a lower profile bracket much like what Kavik and boots are doing and cut more sheet metal to make room for the tires. Once I get some more time to tackle a sheet metal project like that I'll be going to the lower profile SR.

I too am excited about running my SR setup. My springs are extra long so I don't think I could have gotten away with following the factory and not hit everything on the trail. I've seen a couple of industrial trucks that have the factory shackle in the rear (front axle) so I don't see it as being unstable when setup right since those guys haul a lot more weight then I will. With your fancy plasma cutter Brokenparts, you could be done in minutes! We'll have to have a sheetmetal cutting party for running these larger meats.

I think the article previously mentioned contradicts this.

http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/shackle-reason.php

I would like to go back to the SR question. When moving the part that makes it possible for the leaf spring to extend to the front, you radically change the performance of the suspension.
This may not be that noticably at low speeds in the terrain, but if your rig is a daily driver i might have some inpact. You aregoing down the freeway at 55mph when suddently you have to brake really hard!
The 5.000lbs of your rig is now on the front axle and at the same time everything above the axle want's to continue forward. The combination af weight and forward momentum stresses the suspension enormously! Your front axle will shift backwards and your nose drop considerably more than w/o SR, making the rig more unstable.

I too am excited about running my SR setup. My springs are extra long so I don't think I could have gotten away with following the factory and not hit everything on the trail. I've seen a couple of industrial trucks that have the factory shackle in the rear (front axle) so I don't see it as being unstable when setup right since those guys haul a lot more weight then I will. With your fancy plasma cutter Brokenparts, you could be done in minutes! We'll have to have a sheetmetal cutting party for running these larger meats.

lol... I hate welding sheetmetal!!!!

I think the article previously mentioned contradicts this.

Either I don't understand what you are meaning, or I haven't been able to clarify my thoughts...
I see the article as a much better explanation of my point than my own. :eek:

You are of course referring to the article above, sorry...

I would never try a SR, but that is because I would never have a chance to get my rig certified with it! We have very restrictive rules concerning modifications here... ;)

Last edited:
The stock 60 config has the front axle with shackles before the axle. And is Spring under stock.
The stock Mini truck has the shackles behind the front axle. And is springover stock.

There is a lot more to it than just the location of the shackles.

I have had "panic" situations with trucks with shackles in the front and in the rear. The stresses involved are not that much different..

I see your point Mace, I did not try to make complete explanation of the forces and the geometry ect. involved. actually the article posted by Ducks explain some of my thoughts much better:

I do not critize SR, I would be out of order for doing it, since I never drove one. I have only seen it on a Heep... but when he was braking his caster angle shifted wildly!
The important thing must be that those who have it are pleased with their results!

Either I don't understand what you are meaning, or I haven't been able to clarify my thoughts...
I see the article as a much better explanation of my point than my own. :eek:

I would never try a SR, but that is because I would never have a chance to get my rig certified with it! We have very restrictive rules concerning modifications here... ;)

I think I misunderstood you. Sorry. :eek:

Cheers,
Chad

I think I misunderstood you. Sorry. :eek:

Cheers,
Chad

LOOOL I just edited mine because I misunderstood you! well, it5's 0030 here, I must be tired!

:beer: to you Chad!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom