Shackle height Q (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Forgive me if this is something basic, but I've never had a leaf suspension vehicle before. Does it matter if the shackles are a different height than the leafs?

I have an Ironman 2 inch leaf lift (the toy060c kit specifically) but the shackles are 6 inch from the leaf pin center to frame pin center. The shackles say "dune" on the side but I can't find them on internet anymore so they may be cheapo things.

My local shop says shackles with radically different heighth from leafs aren't a good idea and suggest I switch them out to keep bushings and connectors from wearing out too quickly. Honestly, I need to switch them with something lower anyway because the HJ61 scrapes the garage if I use too much gas and it gets light in the rear.

There are too many options for shackles Out there. Any suggestions for a 3-4 inch lift that are sturdy? Just something not as low as stock but not over 4 inches.

16598165177847600271459113323356.jpg

So why wouldn't you just get the greaseable anti-inversion shackles that go with the Ironman kits:

Should fix you up straight away. HTH.

So why wouldn't you just get the greaseable anti-inversion shackles that go with the Ironman kits:

Should fix you up straight away. HTH.
I requested quotes from them a month ago when I got the truck and a week ago when I started looking into this again. I figured they could solidly answer my question. Still no response.

I requested a quote for all 4 anti inversion and all 4 dogbone style greasable because I still can't figure the difference between the two styles. Another question I had but same result from them.

That's why I'm looking for recommendations.

I requested a quote for all 4 anti inversion and all 4 dogbone style greasable because I still can't figure the difference between the two styles.

So the anti-inversion shackle is just that: It prevents the spring/shackle from inverting the spring into the frame like the picture below:

1659897986734.png

When flexing the spring to the point the shackle/spring is fully extended, the bow of the spring can actually cause the spring end to flip backwards into the frame of the vehicle. This is referred to as 'inversion". The shackle ends up flipping the end of the spring from where it normally rides backwards into the frame of the truck. The bow of the spring (and the weight of the truck) leaves it there and you have to get a pry bar to un-stick it. The anti-inversion shackles have a center pin that will rest against the frame of the truck at full flex to prevent the movement of the shackle in such a way that the spring cannot invert like this. It limits the shackles travel such that the spring bow cannot flip the shackle backwards and invert it. The photo shows the dog bone type of shackle without the spring center anti-inversion pin. As you can see its been inverted. Based on the angle of the shackle in your photo just with the truck's weight resting on the spring and the length of the shackle, your setup could get inverted at full droop/flex. The dog bone style do not have anything to prevent the shackle from inverting.

I included some photos of my Anti-inversion shackles on my '84. OME setup and not ironman but pretty much the same idea:

Shackle1.jpg
Shackle2.jpg

I am not sure how you are requesting quotes for the parts you need. The link I sent just has an add to cart button on it. I think its just a click 'add to cart' situation. Price is $45 a piece so $180US for 4. You will prolly want to pickup the bushings that go with these shackles. Not sure what bushings you have there (Ironman or something else). I don't have direct experience with the Ironman stuff or them as a company but should be pretty easy to source. They should however be able to answer your questions about their parts better than on here. Hopefully they can get back to you on that.

Is there some shipping issue to NZ that would maybe prevent you from receiving these parts?

Last edited:
Thanks for the instruction on inversion shackles.

-I am not sure how you are requesting quotes for the parts you need. The link I sent just has an add to cart button on it.-

I'm in NZ and am talking about the NZ site. You have to request a quote for items, then they send you an email with a link that says 'for prices check the catalog.' The catalog is the "mini-cat" and has all the big stuff, but not shackle prices. Then they never get back to you with prices and availability. I wish shopping was as easy as in the US. Shipping here from US site costs as much as the shackles due to weight. Australia site is same as nz, no replies.

Not sure what you could do about the shipping costs. Might just be on the hook for that if trying to match up to Ironman parts. Interesting your truck has Ironman4X4 suspension parts with ARB/OME being right there in your own back yard. Wonder how the PO got those parts.

Looking on the ARB NZ site, there are two shops in Christchurch that can source ARB(OME) parts. No idea if they would fit up properly with ironman gear. Maybe check out the ARB NZ site for location map. I imagine one of those could help you out with something. Even just a proper height shackles. Non-Ironman shackles seem to fit Ironman springs so finding something that fits should be possible. Shops listed are:

Peter Munro 4X4
137 Blenheim Road
Christchurch
643-343-0114
sales@petermunro.co.nz

Beaut Utes
110 Maces Rd.
Bromley
643-384-1698
christchurch@arb.co.nz

Know nothing about those shops, or proximity to your location to them or much else about your country. Hopefully those make sense to you and something you find helpful. GL and HTH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom