Shackle Chitty Chitty BANG BANG (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I’m having a few shackle issues with my 40 and I appreciate any input you may have regarding this situation.

I got my truck a few months ago and I’m very happy with it overall. After reading several posts, steering and front brakes seem to be common issues and I’m in the process of trying to get mine debugged. I plan on (in the next few weeks) doing the mini disk conversion and I have almost all the parts. This *should* solve the majority of my straight line stopping problems—I don’t really want to fumble with my drums. In the interim, I think I’m having problems with my shackles effecting my steering.

This may be a lame question, but I wanted to see if anyone has ran into this before. I just installed new HFS shackles and bushings in the front. I didn’t bother to replace the bushings at rear of the front leafs, only in the front where the shackle meets the frame and leaf…for now. When I finished, there was a gap between the edge of the shackle and the bushing causing 1/4 – 3/8” of play on both perches and on the front of the leafs. Now, when I drive with the new shackles, going down there road is like a death wish. I will be driving and its like someone takes the wheel and turns the cruiser between 1/8 – 1/4 turn. Almost as if the play in shackles is causing the axle to move back and forth. Almost like if you were to be standing over the pumpkin and took a stake and drove it from the top to the bottom then into the ground. This is the axis it seems like the axle is pivoting on.

My thoughts at this point would be to get some large washers and try and omit the gaps in the shackles. I guess I just have this funny feeling doing so will only make things slightly better and I will still have the same issues... Any thoughts on this?

BTW, I have my reverse high performance bezel on at the moment.

showletter8en.jpg

the pulling during braking is a common cruiser suspension thing and mini brakes won't fix it...they'll just make you stop sooner so you endure less of it. the shackles up front allow the front end to grab any little dip in the road. also, those appear to be longer shackles which will make the issue worse.

go through and rebuild your center arm and replace tie rod ends. also, adjust your steering box. i bet it gets dramatically better.

oh yeah, and flip your bezel... :flipoff2:

are they lifted shackles?

also are they the right size shackles? i.e. are they for a pre 1979 cruiser?

loose shackles can have that effect

By all means take the slack space out with washers rather than trying to tighten the shackle bolts. Those shackles, as beefy as they seem, will bend inward pretty easily if the bolts are overtorqued. Once bent inward they'll tend to cut the bushing flange badly.

Those look like the 1 1/2" shackles. By installing them you've altered the degree of camber for the axle. You've tilted it forward actually. There are shims sold to compensate for this. Also, that shacle set uses 5/8" bolts - bigger than stock.

I would go back and change the rear spring bushings also. The new fronts may be accentuating a problem with the rears. Be prepared to find a pretty rusty pin holding the back spring mount. Good idea to replace that, but if not the shackle bushing should compensate.

Good luck!

if their lifted shackles, throw in some castor correction wedges and it should track like a dream

bad_religion_au said:
if their lifted shackles, throw in some castor correction wedges and it should track like a dream

Who sells good wedges? I bought some from JT outfitters but they seemed very cheap and brittle so I didn't install them.

Thanks for all the info guys. The shackles are lifted, 1 1/2”. Any ideas where I would locate the castor correction wedges, or is there a write- up about it anywhere?

Dude! Congrats on getting your rig going!
You can get bushings with different shoulder thicknesses from Spectre. Might want to try that, but hopefully the washer thing works out. Lame that HFS shackles dont fit up right.

Ige is on the money about getting everything else tight. Tighten all the links, and I would even consider replacing the tie rod ends. It really does make a big difference. Stock Cruiser steering has too many moving pieces.... Also the stock drums are kinda sketchy on the front. Mini breaks are SO worth the effort to install. Atleast on my setup, it pulls alot less (not too noticable) with powersteering and a steering dampener.

If you want help getting the mini conversion on, let me know!

For the wedges, be sure to get steel ones, and not aluminium. I dont know where to get them though.. I'll ask Manny where he got his from.

kick ass!
Dustin

Hey Dustin,

I was talking to Georg and he said I just missed you an Manny at the PCM swap. I got there pretty early and left around 11:30 or so. I have just been truckin away trying to get this thing a little closer to done! I’ll give you a call in the next few days.

find a local spring shop...they'll have the shims

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom