shackle angle and rear end height (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just finished replaceing the rear leaf springs with OME dakar leafs on my 83 60.

the shackes are stock size. when i lowered the the truck down finally the rear end is sitting really high and the shacke angle is pretty steep .

how do I adjust the angle ? do i need to remove a leaf ?

the front is still stock I couldnt afford to do all 4 yet.

I wanted to keep the truck close to stock height.

any tips would be appreciated. I'd love to get the rear end down a bit .

thanks in advance

post up a pic, I am curious to see how steep the angles are..

the leafs will settle in time too after it is wheeled some or over a longer period if it isnt and the angle will be closer.

you could haul around some extra weight, sand bags, to help settle the new springs abit.

but if his springs settle they will be longer between mounting points making the angle worse... right?

but if his springs settle they will be longer between mounting points making the angle worse... right?

no, he said they were too steep, settling would work them towards a 45 degree which most consider optimal.

go flex it out, or stick a bumper/swingout tire carrier on it.

I just finished replaceing the rear leaf springs with OME dakar leafs on my 83 60.

the shackes are stock size. when i lowered the the truck down finally the rear end is sitting really high and the shacke angle is pretty steep .

how do I adjust the angle ? do i need to remove a leaf ?

the front is still stock I couldnt afford to do all 4 yet.

I wanted to keep the truck close to stock height.

any tips would be appreciated. I'd love to get the rear end down a bit .

thanks in advance

I think that this may be part of the issue you are experiencing. Post up a pic so that you can get a second opinion on the shackle angle.

What type of springs? Lift or stock height replacement. IF you have not changed the front springs yet then you cant expect the truck to sit in a normal position. If you went with no lift factory height OME springs then you will probably have 2 inches more lift in the rear as the front have dropped at least that much over the years. IF you went with a lifted setup then you could be off 4 to 5 inches and that is going to cause your truck to be off.

no, he said they were too steep, settling would work them towards a 45 degree which most consider optimal.

go flex it out, or stick a bumper/swingout tire carrier on it.

gotcha, I was thinking that they were folded up. I was thinking about it backwards. Never mind.

The OME springs have the same length when they are flattened out as do the stock leafs. They have a much deeper static arch and a tremendously deeper unloaded arch. Your stock shackles may invert in a forward position if you don't replace them with longer ones. That's what happened to me. The best cure is a shackle that is about two inches longer than stock and relocating the shackle mount inboard about the same distance. This will give you a smooth ride, even more articulation at full drop and it will eliminate the inversion.

Last edited:
If the condition you describe is literally immediately after getting the truck back on it's feet....then perhaps it's just friction from the shackles being too tight. They can be over tightened enough to cause a decent amt of binding. I assume it's been driven some by now, has there been any change as of yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom