Shackle angle after shackle reversal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mopdog

SILVER Star
Threads
I set the distance between the front hanger and the rear shackle as they were before the reversal and as recommended in a couple threads on here. That said the spring is barely separated from the frame at all at rest. Should I extend the shackle, move the from hanger slightly forward, or both?

image.jpg

extended shackle, you want the angle of the shackle similar to what you have currently, moving the front forward would make the shackle more vertical which would be a harsher ride.

Yeah, you need more shackle. FWIW, I stopped going through the frame long ago, for the reason shown. Ruff Stuff shackle hanger works fine.

If you like where your axle and tires center in the wheel wells, then get longer shackles. If you like where the wheels center and WANT to pull the hangers forward, you could drill new centering holes in the perches, to bring the axle back, or have new springs built to compensate.

I don’t think I have ever seen anybody try to reuse the OEM shackle when doing the SOA. Cool. But longer will solve your issue.

I’ve seen it work when they’re hung from a normal hanger set up as a shackle reversal as opposed to going through the frame. Ideally, you wouldn’t need longer shackles when retaining stock length/height springs.

I set the distance between the front hanger and the rear shackle as they were before the reversal and as recommended in a couple threads on here. That said the spring is barely separated from the frame at all at rest. Should I extend the shackle, move the from hanger slightly forward, or both?

View attachment 2363601
I cut the perches off the frame and welded the front perch here behind the axle and the rear to the front with 2" square tubing in the front and it worked very well with a great improvement in the ride. It also provided a place to use the Hi Lift jack to raise the front end that was more secure than just the bottom of the bumper. I don't have a clear photo of the front end of the spring.

Before I started cutting I took a square and laid out the frame with a square and soap stone and drew a line through the pins and then once the perches were ready to weld on transferred that line through the center of the hole and welded them back on. This was done during my first semester of welding in college. I didn't need extended shackles on the front just the rear axle.

1616652808881.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom