SF Bay Area mechanics who specialize in 100 series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello NorCal Hundy owners :)

Could someone please recommend mechanics who know inside out about 100 series? Before I can get garage space at home to attempt DIY, I'm looking for shops to do regular maintenance including servicing AHC, and in the long term maybe go for a lift and other major mods. There are definitely jobs that are LC/LX-specific so would like to take them to mechanics who specialize in 100 series or own Hundy themselves (know all the weak points in the Hundy like heater-hose T, starter, master cylinder, debugging ATRAC etc. and can advise preventative maintenance or come up with cost effective solutions before things break).

In my search of old posts, Mudrak in Sonoma and Valley Hybrids in Stockton have been recommended before, but they are a bit too far from peninsula to take my truck there for general maintenance. There is one near SFO but a forum member mentioned it's not as good as years ago.

Thanks!

Adding keywords for ease of members' future search:
san francisco bay area, silicon valley, san jose, santa clara county, san mateo county, alameda, peninsula, contra costa, sacramento, stockton, sonoma, gilroy, santa cruz

Last edited:
Yeah bud, I'm in the same situation. However, the more I talk to Mudrak's the more I feel like it's worth the challenge to eat the distance/time.

BTW: the heater T's are a one banana job.

Toy Auto Clinic in Redwood City. They did my timing belt and did the heater Ts without additional labor cost.

Brian and Chris are the owners and the mechanics so they take pride in their work. They don't hire cheap mechanics to do the work.

A+ Japanese imports in San Carlos does good work and has a cruiser-head or two.

Yeah bud, I'm in the same situation. However, the more I talk to Mudrak's the more I feel like it's worth the challenge to eat the distance/time.

BTW: the heater T's are a one banana job.

Thanks for the good advice! I will take major jobs like engine rebuild or AHC delete to Mudrak/Valley Hybrid. :)

I guess I'm trying to find mechanics who visit MUD often and are cruiser-head enough to warn me all about heater-T, torsion bar adjustment, AHC pressure etc. before I bring these topics up to them. Basically someone who knows all info on the FAQ in great detail from hands-on experience fixing other's or own Hundys :D

A+ Japanese imports in San Carlos does good work and has a cruiser-head or two.

I found a post from a few years ago saying after the original owners' kids took over, they tend to be pushy on repairs. It was just one reply though, so maybe just that member had a bad experience. Thanks for this suggestion. Will try to make a trip and talk to the mechanics there to get a feel. :)

Last edited:
Toy Auto Clinic in Redwood City. They did my timing belt and did the heater Ts without additional labor cost.

Brian and Chris are the owners and the mechanics so they take pride in their work. They don't hire cheap mechanics to do the work.

Thank you! Will stop by this shop.

I've also heard Toy Connections in Santa Clara, was mentioned by Overlandbound (80 series owner) on Youtube. Saw mixed reviews on Yelp though.

Main reason I can't visit those popular shops easily is because I often have hard time finding friends who can give me rides to places like Sonoma/Stockton/Gilroy for auto repair. They are more into Teslas 😰 and autonomous driving hypes 😵 and don't share passion about trucks or offroading/overlanding with me, let alone Hundys 😥 When I try to get help with ride to outside central bay area for truck stuff or getting bumper installed, they just give me a lecture on how advanced their Teslas are 😂

Main reason I can't visit those popular shops easily is because I often have hard time finding friends who can give me rides to places like Sonoma/Stockton/Gilroy for auto repair. They are more into Teslas 😰 and autonomous driving hypes 😵 and don't share passion about trucks or offroading/overlanding with me, let alone Hundys 😥 When I try to get help with ride to outside central bay area for truck stuff or getting bumper installed, they just give me a lecture on how advanced their Teslas are 😂
I took mine to Georg at Vally Hybrids to do TB and various other things. I rented the cheapest car I could find, as he needEd the vehicle for two days. Good way to avoid the Tesla folks.

There's an Amtrak bus station near Valley Hybrids that takes you to SJ. I think Georg even sends somebody to pick up/drop off.... that is, if you are okay taking public transportation during these times.

I found a post from a few years ago saying after the original owners' kids took over, they tend to be pushy on repairs. It was just one reply though, so maybe just that member had a bad experience. Thanks for this suggestion. Will try to make a trip and talk to the mechanics there to get a feel. :)
@newbielx470, I haven't visited A+ since moving from the SF peninsula to Idaho, and that was in 2002. One of the owner's sons did move to northern Idaho. Not sure if the other is still at the business or not.

Like any other trip to the repair shop, go over the maintenance items the book says you need based on time or mileage. Write a list of what you need and get a quote or two.

Let me know that you find after your visit.

Steve

You need better friends.....(s)

I took mine to Georg at Vally Hybrids to do TB and various other things. I rented the cheapest car I could find, as he needEd the vehicle for two days. Good way to avoid the Tesla folks.
How'd that all work put? I', getting close to my 220,000 tuneup..... That's going to be spendy...

I would not recommend A+ Japanese Auto Repair, they are overpriced and pushy. QUOTE="newbielx470, post: 13361135, member: 127493"]
[/QUOTE]

I can give A+ Japanese auto a positive endorsement. I have not been in a few years since I moved from Redwood City to the Sacramento area but did use them a few times after the kids took over.
Owner had a sweet 80 and did good work.
A little $$$ but isn’t everything on peninsula.

👍👍

How'd that all work put? I', getting close to my 220,000 tuneup..... That's going to be spendy...
Hey Nola, it worked out well- he does great work. It’s just hard to get an appointment- always booked out 30 days in advance, as I waited back in late ‘18. The price tag was very fair, considering Bay Area prices and piece of mind.
Gary at Mudrak‘s is also very good, as mentioned above. I’ve used him too- again peace of mind as I had him do all of My major fluids- full trans, TC, and diffs...

Anyone had work done by Toy Connection in Santa Clara? I stopped by a while ago and saw many 80 series in front and inside the shop. The owner wasn't in so didn't get a chance to talk. They seem to work more on 80 or older series.

Found some older threads recommending Toyota of Walnut Creek dealer as being competent and professional on Hundy repairs. Do they charge a lot more compared to independent shops? If it's less than 15% more for equally good job, I wouldn't mind paying the premium. But my previous experience with dealership has been subpar 😥

Jeff and Toy Connection have done some work for me including maintanence and a locker install. The work was fine and reasonable. I think Mudrak in Sonoma is likely the most 100 specific shop in the Bay Area, but he is pretty pricey. The amount he quoted to do a steering rack was truly jaw dropping, think dealership...Toy Auto Clinic is local to me here in RWC and everyone raves about them...

I have used Mudrak before, and was *not* thrilled with them. Doing the timing belt service, they took two or three days longer than they'd said they would, and then the truck was throwing a check engine light after I got it back. They'd left one vacuum hose disconnected, and connected another one in the wrong spot on re-assembly.
My office is up the street from Luscious Garage in SF, and I have been *really* happy with all the work that they've done. Their prices are reasonable (for the area), and although they specialize in Priii and other hybrids - they have been great working on my 04 LC - brakes, wheel bearings, etc.
I can also say that Vallejo Toyota should be avoided.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom