Severly retarded FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My FJ60 is finally back from the shop and running. The igniter was not bad, although the one I bought to replace it was....which made figuring out the ignition problem even easier:doh: Just bad bearings in the dizzey. Now it runs OK but the timing is really retarded even with the dizzy rotated all the way advanced. I suggested to the guys at the shop that they just rotate the dizzy by one toothe but was told that doing so would throw off valve timing?? They suggested replacing the timing gears? What are my options??

Thanks,
Michael

So they pulled the distributor to replace the bearings and now they have put it back in (wrong) and they won't fix it? From the way you have described the problem it does sound like the distributor is off by a tooth (you have checked the timing with a timing light, correct?). Rotating the distributor gear will have no effect on the valve timing (timing of the valves with the pistons). Rotating the distributor will however fix too retarded or advanced timing.

If I were you I would start looking for a new mechanic, or better yet, start saving for service manuals and tools...

I agree, it isn't the 60 that is retarded, it's the guy mis-representing what needs to be done.

Now it runs OK but the timing is really retarded even with the dizzy rotated all the way advanced. I suggested to the guys at the shop that they just rotate the dizzy by one toothe but was told that doing so would throw off valve timing?? They suggested replacing the timing gears? What are my options?
There is only one option in this situation.

Get a competent mechanic.

So they pulled the distributor to replace the bearings and now they have put it back in (wrong) and they won't fix it? From the way you have described the problem it does sound like the distributor is off by a tooth (you have checked the timing with a timing light, correct?). Rotating the distributor gear will have no effect on the valve timing (timing of the valves with the pistons). Rotating the distributor will however fix too retarded or advanced timing.

If I were you I would start looking for a new mechanic, or better yet, start saving for service manuals and tools...

Agreed. Get some FSM's and do the repairs yourself. Most mechanics
don't see enough Landcruisers to be compentent. If you own one,
you need to learn to wrench on it yourself. Factory Service Manuals
will let you wrench with confidence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom